Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transferring files from old comp to new, chrome shortcuts no longer load correctly
Hi, I'm going through the process of migrating all my data to a new PC, (windows 10 -> windows 10)

Everything is going fine, with one problem.

I Like to save relevant chrome shortcuts to my storage folders, on my old PC,- when activated, they would open up chrome on the
correct web page, and the icon of the shortcut would be that of the website. Like for example if the shortcut was to the gallery of an Artstation artist, the icon would be the Artstation logo.

Now that I have moved all the items into a new D Drive, the shortcut icons are plain, and although they have their name retained, when I activate them they just load a blank tab in chrome. It seems like the web shorcut has not actually been carried over.

Please can you help me figure out what is going on. I have a lot of shortcuts created and I hope they can still work fine the way they used to.

Please ask me for any details that I am missing in my description that you need to help diagnose.

Any advice?
Many thanks, Best wishes,
Alex

--------Ive fooled around a bit more trying to get this to work, still truly confused, I wish I could talk to someone who knows how Chrome and Windows works.

After thinking about it a bit more the computer is simply not finding the target of that shortcut, but it can find chrome, so it launches chrome.

This is the important line: the target

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --profile-directory=Default --app-id=loheoceijigibpiofjjaeakmjmojoojk

It can not find the last bit of that.

So I imagine its simply a case of moving some data files over from the Chrome program files on my old PC into the new chrome install on my new PC.

however i cant find any file called loheoceijigibpiofjjaeakmjmojoojk (thats not a name I gave it by the way)

very confused, if anyone has any ideas I would love to know your thoughts!

Best wishes,
Alex

just create a system image