Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10: Battery Dies, was replaced, now cant restore: LOOPING
Good Afternoon All:

I have a HP Pavilion G6 Laptop, from approximately 2012.  This laptop was updated from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home in 2016 I Believe.  My Buddy asked me to wipe it and reinstall fresh in Early 2017, before he moved to another state.  Last couple of months, the battery has been getting weaker and weaker, and I had to help my buddy reset the machine to the most current restore point before the computer went down.  

The First time we did this, the machine was able to restore to 12/22/18 - Everything worked well for a week or so, and then, he shut it off, and when trying to restart, he found the battery went flat, and died, and we replaced the battery.  Now, he tries to repair the install, and he gets the following messages:

One:  saying that: "D:\boot\resources\custom\bootres.dll is corrupted"  AND

Two:  "E:\windows\system32\logfiles\Srt\SRTTrack.txt\bootres.dll is corrupted"

He sent me the machine last week, so I have it here in Vermont, USA - I can see all his Data, and he has added more to D\Users\PAA\ since I did a fresh install - The laptop has shutdown twice today, complaining that the machine was "too hot."

I have Tried:

Boot to Auto Repair (FAILED) bootdes.dll Corrupted - Boot just loops
Boot Normal Mode (Continue to Windows 10)  (FAILED)
Boot to Safe Mode (No Networking)  (FAILED)
System Restore (FAIL:  Cant Remember the Error code given)
Boot to Safe Mode With Networking (FAILED)
Boot Win 10PE

chkdsk /f /r /x (per Britec  video)  (No Problems Detected)
sfc /scannow /offdir=D:\ /offwindir=D:\windows (FAIL - Nonsense about not being able to perform this action and that there seems to be NOTHING wrong)
dism (FAIL - (FAIL - Nonsense about not being able to perform this action)
copying a fresh bootdes,dll to D:\boot\resources\custom\"  (Complains Directory does NOT exist, so I made it and placed it there - still problems)

Isn't there a way to BYPASS all this Bull and get RIGHT to safe Mode in Minimal configuration?  Can't we FORCE this bootres.dll to behave?  

ALL his DATA and files are in D:\ - which is where the windows install is:  I wish that there was a more POWERFUL and USEFUL **beep** Utility that will check this and fix it without causing the whole machine to be unstable, and the machine does NOT boot - Safe Mode is supposed to get you there, but I cant even run Safe Mode, all I have is command prompt.

Can someone help with this??

Brian
Brian S. Baker
Linux Enthusiast /Computer Consultant At Large/ "The Wizkid"
System Admin: buddy-baker.us
buddy-baker.us

1. I would check just the hard drive health status
  2. the laptop power adopter
  3. disassemble the laptop the fan reapply new thermal   paste

(02-05-2019, 02:41 AM)Compton Wrote:  
  1. I would check just the hard drive health status
  2. the laptop power adopter
  3. disassemble the laptop the fan reapply new thermal   paste

Good Morning Compton:

1. Hard Drive health Appears to be fine, as chkdsk /f /r/ /x cannot find anything wrong with the dive
  2. Laptop Power Adapter is fine
  3. I CANNOT and WILL NOT disassemble the laptop, because I do NOT have the dexterity to be able to handle this, and the problem with the overheating may be evident, but I want to be able to BOOT this thing and there is a problem, as I stated

"saying that: "D:\boot\resources\custom\bootres.dll is corrupted" AND

Two: "E:\windows\system32\logfiles\Srt\SRTTrack.txt\bootres.dll is corrupted"

How do I fix THIS: I have to get the machine bootable in an environment where I can copy files from D:\ to a Stick, and I need to be able to boot WinPE, as I don't have any way to get to safe mode: need to get bootres.dll to behave

Any further ideas??

Brian
Brian S. Baker
buddy-baker.us

you need to run a deeper test on the hard drive

take the hard drive out of the computer put into a next computer

run the  following test

https://briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=695

https://briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=678

Compton:

(02-07-2019, 03:00 AM)Compton Wrote:  you need to run a deeper test on the hard drive

take the hard drive out of the computer put into a next computer

run the  following test

https://briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=695

https://briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=678

With all due respect: what you are asking of me is PHYSICALLY impossible for me to do, because I LACK the dexterity to perform the TEARDOWN of the machine: if bootres.dll is corrupted, why would you not be able to replace it: it was working before. There is data there that I need to get so that I can copy it to another removable stick, and once this is done, the machine gets the BOOT Smile

Brian
Brian S. Baker
buddy-baker.us

I do apologize. I was thinking  it's one of the laptop's with easy access to the hard drive

I understand everything you are saying with  bootres.dll

the reason you will not be able to fix is that if the hard drive is not in good health don't matter what you try it will not be fix

if you try backup the data using Linux

Good Morning Compton:

I would like to first THANK you for all of your help.  I also want you to know that I have taken ALL of the files from the affected HDD and moved them to a stick - I was instructed to junk the machine, because she is so HOT - I am not sure if there will EVER be an easy way to fix windows 10 - It wants to perform a "repair" and wont stop, so I used "bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal" and then used BCD to turn OFF the autorepair.  This way, I was able to successfully boot to Win10PE, even though it keeps saying it wants to repair the file.  Is it ALWAYS a failure to replace DLL files??  Seems like a waste of time to even try when something is not where it is supposed to be.  Set this way, AT LEAST I CAN command a boot of win10PE.

Second:  I am going to TRY to make a Multiboot USB with:

Windows 10
Windows 10 PE
Hirens Boot CD
Kaspersky Rescue Disc 10
Linux (Jessie at the moment)

How Big of a USB would I need to get this done?  I don't want to be in a position when I cannot repair a machine:  I also don't want to JUNK a machine because windows wont repair or help replace bad files - I find that the drive seems OK, but I think an update may have moved the bootres.dll file, because it was NOT in D:\boot\Resources\Custom, or in \windows\system32\

Thanks for the help!

Brian B.
Brian S. Baker
buddy-baker.us

Ultimate BOOT STICK] (2/11/2019@20:00 EST) Today, I spent most of the day contructing a USB Bootable drive that will allow me to do things like:

* Install ANY Version of Windows (XP to Windows 10)
* Install MS Office (2013, 2016, 2019)
* Run Linux Live CDS (Ubuntu, Debian 9, Puppy)
* Run Windows 10 PE for Windows Repairs
* Run DOS Programs and Utilities (FreeDos)
* Run Hirens Boot CD 15.2 (Windows Utils for Repairs)
* Run Kaspersky Rescue CD (Antivirus and Repair Utils)

Because this Stick is Bootable and was built with Easy2Boot, and RPMPrepUSB, I can boot this thing from a cold start by just booting this stick up, and doing what I need. I have lost 2 machines in 2018 because of problems that would have been easier to deal with had I been able to use these utilities sooner. I took a NEW 128 GB Stick, and started loading ISO images of important files, so NOW I should be able to boot right in if I have a situation where windows will NOT repair the machine in question. Thanks to Britec, Compton, Timster and others (briteccomputers.co.uk) for helping me this week Wink

Thanks,
Brian B.
Brian S. Baker
buddy-baker.us

I would not dump the laptop if you can get someone to dissemble laptop you should be abe  to get it workinqg

If clean fan and stuff

Sounds like you are on the right track when a computer can.t  boot a next tool is regback

This would work must time