Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Win 10 storage spaces warning
Just a warning about using Storage spaces (see pic), a feature in the Windows 10 control panel.

I hadn't noticed this before so thought I would investigate what it did. It seemed like it used a drive/drives to auto backup your data like a RAID. Since I had a blank drive I thought to try it out, then I realised it needed another drive to create a pool. I had another drive with some backup on it and 100GB unused space
I stupidly thought that it would just use the space available on the other drive so went through the steps to create a pool.

After selecting the 2 drives and proceeding it paused for a few seconds then came up with some error (sorry I didnt write the code down)

Then on looking at my PC both drives had vanished from the normal file exlorer view, but I could see them in disk management as unallocated !
Eventually the only way I could get them back was to use DISKPART to create new partitions and then disk management to give them a drive letter and reformat them

Took me a few days to recover the data that had been on the used drive, thought I would mention this as normally you might expect some sort of 'do you really want to create a pool' type message, instead of it just claiming drives from your PC in seconds

picture attached now

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)