Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NVME Drive wore out
On my main system which runs Windows 10 Pro off a Samsung 960 NVME drive. Hadn't had any problems with it for over a year. Suddenly my system wouldn't boot. Went ahead and cloned back the system with Acronis to the way it was. Still wouldn't boot. Did a chkdsk /f on it and tried to rebuild mbr by changing it to MBR with AOMEI parttition manager Pro. Still wouldn't boot. Changed it back to GPT and still no dice. Hooked up my Samsung 850 250 gb SSD and booted up. No problem. I think the NVME board was running too hot and it doesn't have any cooling for it. Thoughts?

(10-14-2019, 05:57 PM)PaulIIII Wrote:  On my main system which runs Windows 10 Pro off a Samsung 960 NVME drive. Hadn't had any problems with it for over a year. Suddenly my system wouldn't boot. Went ahead and cloned back the system with Acronis to the way it was. Still wouldn't boot. Did a chkdsk /f on it and tried to rebuild mbr by changing it to MBR with AOMEI parttition manager Pro. Still wouldn't boot. Changed it back to GPT and still no dice. Hooked up my Samsung 850 250 gb SSD and booted up. No problem. I think the NVME board was running too hot and it doesn't have any cooling for it. Thoughts?

How long have you had it and whats the model number of the computer your on?

Built it about 3 or 4 years ago.
Gigabyte Z170X-UD5
Intel I7 4.0 ghz processor

NVME has been on there for about 2 years. Samsung 960 EVO

After taking it all the way out of the system examining it, can find nothing wrong burn wise. My drive check came back 100 percent. I put it back in and cloned my C: drive over to it after powershell formatting and cleaning it. Deleted all partitions. Then new simple volume. Cloned it again, and it makes the system have a halt code. 5 beeps. Then I reboot, change the boot order to the drive I cloned it from, and it boots with no problem. Samsung 850 EVO. Guess i will have to be happy with 550 mbps. lol. Sucks though. That thing was expensive!! 180 if I remember right. I think No cooling solution and heat is what caused it to fail. Taking it out of the system. I never really saw the difference in gaming from having 550 mbps as opposed to 2200 mbps Thread closed.
Paul