Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there any way to block specifically nvidia drivers from updating?
I usually update the nvidia driver manually via GeForce Experience. I hold back when I find a good version of the driver. But a few years ago I noticed Windows Update would automatically install its version of the nvidia driver, which I think was an older version of the one I had been using.

Because I didn't like this I looked around for a way to block the updates to do with drivers other than Microsoft. But this also blocks a lot of other drivers too. I had used the Britec video from May 30th 2018 and used the group policy way to block certain updates.

I was wondering if there is a better way of blocking specifically nvidia driver updates while allowing other updates to come through?

The reason I ask is because when I changed that policy a while ago, I recently upgraded to the new 2004 version of windows 10, and on the policies it says 'Exclude drivers from windows quality updates'. I'm assuming this is because of the setting I changed in group policy. So I'm wanting to get the other updates except the nvidia driver ones, is this possible these days?

The group policy I had changed was in Windows Update - Do not include drivers with Windows Updates. I set this to enabled. I'd like to change it back to not configured. But I'm nervous the nvidia driver will re-appear.

I think I might have solved the problem.

I used the Britec09 video titled 'How to Disable Windows Update on Windows 10 Permanently' and was looking at the group policy setting part. I decided to set the group policy to 2 for 'Configure Automatic Updates'. This means it asks me before it installs any of the optional updates (maybe all the updates).

I set to 'Not configured' - 'Do not include drivers with Windows updates', which is what was keeping the nvidia driver away from me. But was also keeping every other non-MS driver away too.

I also used the windows diagnostic tool from Microsoft to hide the nvidia driver. Interestingly it was the same version of the driver that was trying to install 2+ years ago. I selected to hide the update.

I then rebooted and set to windows update. I was updated on all regular drivers, but now I could view the optional drivers. There were about 8 drivers for various devices on my computer that were available. I had to tick each one I wanted to download. The nvidia driver wasn't there, so the hiding it worked. I then did the updates and 1 reboot later it updated all 8 drivers. So I think I'm all updated.

I still haven't got the driver Brian talked about in one of his recent videos about the KB4571744. I had recently updated to Windows version 2004 so I'm wondering if they included it in the update for people making the OS update. I guess I'll find out soon enough.