Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Microsoft Account Signon
Have a customer's computer that may have been infected with a virus. Apparently the Microsoft Account Signon in his Windows 8.1 computer got changed. Via microsoft support I managed to get the password reset. Thus now I can sign onto his account. The problem is: I still cannot signon to his computer. Can't get by the Microsoft Account signon screen. Says invalid password. This is not a local account, but a Microsoft Account signon using his email address. Something is amiss, and I do not understand it. If it is the Microsoft account, getting in via a rescue disk (can't do it yet) - I do not think this will change anything. Need helping in understanding how to get the computer password changed. The computer is a Lenovo. I tried F2 for bios and F12 for boot menu, but that is not working. F8 for safemode does not work, and I cannot get into the computer to do anything.

Again help

Thanks;
Chuck Devlin (cfdevlin01)

If you have a win 8 setup usb/disk, boot from it and try the system restore option or refresh. It sounds to me like the recovery partition might be hosed.

(01-28-2015, 12:00 AM)TopFreeware Wrote:  If you have a win 8 setup usb/disk, boot from it and try the system restore option or refresh. It sounds to me like the recovery partition might be hosed.

That probably won't work. The Lenovo computer's F1 for Bios doesn't work because it is asking for a bios password which the client indicates there never was one. Can't get by it. F12 for boot menu is not working at all. Thus right now stuck in that scenario. But thanks for the input, any other ideas will be welcome.

Isn't there an option like F12 to select boot device?

(01-28-2015, 12:13 AM)TopFreeware Wrote:  Isn't there an option like F12 to select boot device?

Hey sorry just re-read your original post.

Yes, f12 should work, but in windows 8 it is standard, not legacy. Have not been able to change to legacy, thus this is not working

(01-28-2015, 12:13 AM)TopFreeware Wrote:  Isn't there an option like F12 to select boot device?

Have you tested the hard drive? Slave it to another PC and run tests? At this stage I would be looking at backing up the clients data.

That will probably be my next step tomorrow. However I will wait to see if someone else may have an idea. I already told my client to see if he any backups, install disks, product codes.

Next step is try to create a local user account. I'm not sure if that is possible by slaving it to another PC. Brian may have done it.