Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! Laptop boots to a black screen & nothing shows in BIOS boot priority.
Hey everyone, I was hoping someone could help me today.

My windows 8.1 recently did a refresh of the C: drive and after it finished I booted and it went to black screen & sometimes just boots straight to the BIOS. When inspecting the BIOS boot priority I noticed it looked like this (wording is different etc)

[Image: 1EtstRv.jpg]

I tried to put in a USB to see if it would recognize it and add it to the list, but it just ignored it and moved straight onto the black screen. I was thinking of making a windows 8.1 recovery disk and trying it in the Laptop, but I wasn't sure if it would even recognize it as the boot order is empty!

Can anyone help me get my Laptop working again?

hi beepboop welcome to forum

it looks like if your boot order is set worng

set the boot order like this

1 boot drive

hard drive

2 boot drive CD/DVD

3 boot drive removable dev

press f10 to save changes and exit

Hi beepboop,

Shutdown the Laptop and remove the power cable.

Remove the Battery.

Hold the Power/Operate button down for 45 secs.

Insert the Power cable and switch laptop on. (Do Not Insert the Battery at this stage)

Report back any changes please.

Thanks.

(03-07-2015, 03:21 PM)Compton Wrote:  hi beepboop welcome to forum

it looks like if your boot order is set worng

set the boot order like this

1 boot drive

hard drive

2 boot drive CD/DVD

3 boot drive removable dev

press f10 to save changes and exit

That was just a sample image, thats not what the BIOS looks like. The area where the boot order 1 is doesn't exist the whole boot tab in the BIOS is grey.

(03-07-2015, 03:22 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  Hi beepboop,

Shutdown the Laptop and remove the power cable.

Remove the Battery.

Hold the Power/Operate button down for 45 secs.

Insert the Power cable and switch laptop on. (Do Not Insert the Battery at this stage)

Report back any changes please.

Thanks.

Will try this soon.

I actually managed to disable secure boot and change the boot mode to UEFI and then my laptop recognized a CD and puts it on the boot order, however my hard drive isn't on there. Would using a windows 8 recovery disk help no it recognizes a CD?

I would try loading the bios back too defaults

(03-07-2015, 03:30 PM)Compton Wrote:  I would try loading the bios back too defaults

Tried that, didn't make a difference.

Windows 8 Recovery disc on a Win 8.1 machine?? You may face even more problems as 8.1 and 8 don''t exactly 'Play Ball' with each other.

Why wasn't the UEFI setting already on when it was set to Secure Boot?

And what was it set on before UEFI?

(03-07-2015, 03:40 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  Windows 8 Recovery disc on a Win 8.1 machine?? You may face even more problems as 8.1 and 8 don''t exactly 'Play Ball' with each other.

Why wasn't the UEFI setting already on when it was set to Secure Boot?

And what was it set on before UEFI?

Sorry I meant to say a windows 8.1 recovery disk Tongue

Well i'm not sure. When secure boot wasn't on it wouldn't recognize the disk until I turned it off. Even then it wouldn't recognize the hard drive. Do you think doing the option you recommended would sort it? (the hold down power button)

Give it a try it won't hurt as it's just to get rid of any residual ESD.

At the moment it's a case of narrowing down.

First off why did you have to/do a refresh of Win 8.1?

(03-07-2015, 03:50 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  Give it a try it won't hurt as it's just to get rid of any residual ESD.

At the moment it's a case of narrowing down.

First off why did you have to/do a refresh of Win 8.1?

Will try it, thanks.

I didn't even tell it to do a refresh. I just turned it on and it said Refreshing C:/ so I left it to do whatever and then it restarted and gave me a black screen!