Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
how to speed up your computer boot time
wow i never noticed this...my pc has been restarting slow lately...iam going to try this out.

Edit, i have reset it to the max allowed of 4...the pc is still in restart mode "getting windows ready" so im guessing i should try wait 2-3 hrs and see if it is ok?

(01-30-2019, 05:47 PM)PrimeDirective64 Wrote:  wow i never noticed this...my pc has been restarting slow lately...iam going to try this out.

Edit, i have reset it to the max allowed of 4...the pc is still in restart mode "getting windows ready" so im guessing i should try wait 2-3 hrs and see if it is ok?
Changing this setting,
will not make your PC any faster.
The default setting, will affords you the same processor and memory usage at boot,
as setting it to the max processors allowed.

However,
if one were to open this setting and notice,
that the checkbox is indeed checked, with the processor settings set to less then what the installed processor has to offer.
Removing the check mark form the box and returning this setting to it's default values.
Would be something I would suggest.
Otherwise maxing this setting out, will have no measurable effect on computer performance.  

Dispute what some people may have reported and or claimed.
You won't see any performance improvements, by maxing-out this setting,
because it's already maxed-out by default.

belated welcome! after waiting 45 minutes, i think you are right...i dont notice anything different...for now, i will leave it as is.. i sometimes expect too much out of this pc...its not very high end but its a workhorse as i use it daily. i guess if i want to meet my expectations of having faster pc,, id have to install more ram and memory -which can be costly whether i install it or taking to repair shop. how about tweaking the page file? my pc is 4GB ram, 500GB HDD btw

(01-30-2019, 07:10 PM)PrimeDirective64 Wrote:  belated welcome! after waiting 45 minutes, i think you are right...i dont notice anything different...for now, i will leave it as is.. i sometimes expect too much out of this pc...its not very high end but its a workhorse as i use it daily. i guess if i want to meet my expectations of having faster pc,, id have to install more ram and memory -which can be costly whether i install it or taking to repair shop. how about tweaking the page file? my pc is 4GB ram, 500GB HDD btw
Adding more memory won't necessarily speed things up.
When your system runs short of RAM, it swaps the overflowing data to the hard drive, which can significantly slow it's performance.
Adding an SSD into the equation, can dramatically improve performance. However, adding more memory wouldn't hurt.
Installing more memory, may make it seem faster during some operations. The more memory you have the better,
because it eliminates the need to "swap" programs/files in and out of the HDD.  
The operating system is also taking up some of that memory .
There's also a bit more to all this as well, that I'm sure you've already heard.
Removing/uninstalling programs you don't use and limiting the number of programs,
that startup. Can also help to improve performance.

Regarding the page file.
I would let Windows manage this. Due to the amount of installed memory you have.
There's no one answer to how much page file or swap space you might need. It all depends on the programs you use and what is required to run them.

i will leave alone the paging file for now, thx

I leave the pagefile at 1500 minimum and 5000 max

But unless your motherboard supports 16gb of ram or more you wont see a real performance boost.

Ssds are good but a good gpu would be the upgrade id go for before any of it if possible.

But if you feel like tweaking the registry, visually and the feel of it these tweaks work pretty good but better after a clean install of windows.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl]
"Win32PrioritySeparation"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Executive]
"AdditionalCriticalWorkerThreads"=dword:00000010

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001
"LargeSystemCache"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters]
"MaxThreadsPerQueue"=dword:00000010

Maxthreadperqueue and additionalcriticalworkerthread go together so make sure both values are the same.

Win32PrioritySeperation=0 balances out your system to where what ever background and foreground need the cpu will get done faster but you can always set the value to 26 if you dont like it set to 0.

"AdditionalCriticalWorkerThreads"=dword:00000010

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters]
"MaxThreadsPerQueue"=dword:00000010

As long as you have the irq of your realtime clock/cmos or high presision event timer listed in your system information/msinfo32
Irq8priority believe it or not helps a little bit in boosting the launch of applications but i haven't tried using irq8priority with the tweaks above but i have used it before.

Note: doing the five tweaks i listed above need to be made in a sequence not all at once. Make sure to backup your system or at least your important files. Also benchmarks im not sure but the feel of the tweaks applied are nice for me.

Doing some further experimenting i have noticed snappier results with the following reg tweaks.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl]
"Win32PrioritySeparation"=dword:00000000

"AdditionalCriticalWorkerThreads"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001
"LargeSystemCache"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters]
"EnableSuperfetch"=dword:00000000
"EnablePrefetcher"=dword:00000000