Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
how to speed up your computer boot time
(01-30-2019, 07:10 PM)PrimeDirective64 Wrote:  belated welcome! after waiting 45 minutes, i think you are right...i dont notice anything different...for now, i will leave it as is.. i sometimes expect too much out of this pc...its not very high end but its a workhorse as i use it daily. i guess if i want to meet my expectations of having faster pc,, id have to install more ram and memory -which can be costly whether i install it or taking to repair shop. how about tweaking the page file? my pc is 4GB ram, 500GB HDD btw
Adding more memory won't necessarily speed things up.
When your system runs short of RAM, it swaps the overflowing data to the hard drive, which can significantly slow it's performance.
Adding an SSD into the equation, can dramatically improve performance. However, adding more memory wouldn't hurt.
Installing more memory, may make it seem faster during some operations. The more memory you have the better,
because it eliminates the need to "swap" programs/files in and out of the HDD.  
The operating system is also taking up some of that memory .
There's also a bit more to all this as well, that I'm sure you've already heard.
Removing/uninstalling programs you don't use and limiting the number of programs,
that startup. Can also help to improve performance.

Regarding the page file.
I would let Windows manage this. Due to the amount of installed memory you have.
There's no one answer to how much page file or swap space you might need. It all depends on the programs you use and what is required to run them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: how to speed up your computer boot time - Geosammy - 01-30-2019, 07:35 PM