Speed up a Slow Computer: Computers slow down over time, so If your computer is running very slow, or its very sluggish, I will show you some steps to check the system to help make the system run super fast. There is many reasons for a slow computer, and its not always down to Malware or Junkware, but these are the biggest problem today with computers. Once these Adware programs get installed on a computer or laptop, it can grind them to a halt. But there is many other reasons why the PC is slow. A full hard drive can slow the computer tremendously. So if your running your hard drive to its maximum capacity your system will start to crawl a long.
In no particular order, check these areas on the computer or laptop.
1. Check to see if hard drive is full, if its like the example below, move or delete some of the data on that drive to free up space.
Now what if you have malware on the system? Its very easy to get infected now days, so running a simple quick scan with malwarebytes can check to see if you have malware on the computer, if you find any viruses on the computer it may take more than just malwarebytes to clean the system up.
Malware can make the computer run very slow, so its important to make sure this is not whats causing the computer problem.
2. Run a quick scan with malwarebytes Its a free on-demand scanner.
Another common issue with computers is the hard drive, having a fragmented hard drive can slow up the windows operating system, and make the system sluggish. Now defragging the hard drive is not going to make the system lighting fast, but running a defrag on the drive can work well if used in conjunction with other methods. Red shows a fragmented hard drive.
Defragmentation is NOT Necessary on a Solid-State Drive
3. Run a quick defrag with a free tool from Auslogics Disk Defrag Free
Its also a good idea to Run CHKDSK, having errors on the drive can cause computer problems, like crashing and BSOD, blue screen of death, most of these errors can be fixed, but if your hard drive is failing, then your need to replace that hard drive.
4. Run chkdsk on windows operating system. Right click c: drive
Select Tools tab, then click Check Now. Put tick in “Automatically fix file system errors” and “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors”
Next we will remove startup programs, this should speed up the boot time and make windows boot to desktop a lot faster. Have programs running in the background uses a lot of system resources
5. Click start button and type MSCONFIG is search box, then click msconfig.exe
Once System Configuration is open Remove ticks from startup programs you don’t wish to load on boot up.
6. A common area that gets over looked in a slow computer syndrome, is overheating laptop or computer, dust is a big killer to computer components, so if you have a lot of dust in your computer heat can dissipate when dust is in case, in fact the dust traps heat in the case and temperatures will start to rise.
So don’t neglect and computer clean from time to time. You can check temperatures with free software like HWMonitor, RealTemp and Speed Fan these are great to test CPU, Graphics and other hardware temps.
Now I am not a big fan of registry cleaners, but a fragmented registry can slow a system down, there is a free tool that can solve this registry problem. A fragmented registry can cause lower the performance of your PC.
So if your computer system is having intermittent freezes or application have a slow response when opening, all these type of issue can be sometimes resolved and restore system stability and fixing other issues like high memory usage. Auslogics Registry Defrag is a great free tool that works real well.
7. Open Auslogics Registry Defrag and run a scan
Another area to clean is temp files, temporary files get stored all over the computer, example your web browser stores temporary internet files, after times these can slow down a computers performance. There are other temp files which windows uses and these can become very large in size and slow down the PC.
8. Ccleaner is a good free tool that cleans a lot of these files from your computer
9. Hardware upgrades are always a good way to speed up your computer, Computer Memory and SSD Hard Drive are great system booster
9a. SSD, these are very affordable now and speed a Laptop or Computer up dramatically
Source Hard Drive Vs SSD
9b. Computer Memory Upgrade
That’s it, these are just some basic ways to speed up your computer, I will right up a windows optimize article soon, on tweaking your operating system to make it faster
If you found this article helpful, please share with your frends.