Britec Tech Support Forum
Windows 8.1 Blue Screen Of Death - Printable Version

+- Britec Tech Support Forum (https://briteccomputers.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Technical Support (https://briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Forum: Operating Systems (https://briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+---- Forum: Windows 8 (https://briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Thread: Windows 8.1 Blue Screen Of Death (/showthread.php?tid=1808)

Windows 8.1 Blue Screen Of Death - iDJG - 03-02-2016

Hi there,

Im experiencing the blue screen of death when playing games, I have tried a few things that I will list for you, but firstly a bit about when this started.

This started a few weeks back, at the time I had a Nvidia GTX 6804gb and 8gb RAM (1833mhz i think) installed. Since then I have upgraded to the GTX 970 HOF and 16gb RAM 2400mhz and I am still getting the same problem.

My Rig,

CPU : Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard : ASUS Maximus Ranger Vii
RAM : 16GB 2400mhz Corsair
GPU : GTX 970 HOF
SSD 120GB for Windows 8.1 64bit
1TB HDD for everything else

NOTHING overclocked

After installing the GTX 970 I ran the DDU in safe mode after downloading from GURU3D.com, ran in safe mode (but didnt get the options like in the BRITEC video "System Thread Execption" Remoce C:/AMD and or c:/Nvidia folders) but ran it anyway, reinstalled Nvidia Experience and latest graphic drivers.
This seemed to work for a couple of hours, then I started to get the crashs again Huh

I think with the GPU upgrade and the RAM upgrade ( I have set BIOS to run the RAM sticks at 2400mhz ) this rules out that it was ever a hardware issue with the GTX 680.

I get a range of .sys errors, SYSTEM SERVICE EXEPTION dxgkrnl.sys or cng.sys, it happens when playing new games on very high settings or playing old games like CSGO and is inconsistant as can happen after 10mins or an hour of play.

I am pulling my hair out as Ive spent a lot of money on this rig building it from scratch, I am stumped to wwhat it could be. I have ran "sfc /scannow" in the cmd promt, no windows intergrity problems where found.

Any ideas???

Kind Regards
iDJG

RE: Windows 8.1 Blue Screen Of Death - WinXPto10 - 03-03-2016

(03-02-2016, 05:24 PM)iDJG Wrote:  Hi there,

Im experiencing the blue screen of death when playing games, I have tried a few things that I will list for you, but firstly a bit about when this started.

This started a few weeks back, at the time I had a Nvidia GTX 6804gb and 8gb RAM (1833mhz i think) installed. Since then I have upgraded to the GTX 970 HOF and 16gb RAM 2400mhz and I am still getting the same problem.

My Rig,

CPU : Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard : ASUS Maximus Ranger Vii
RAM : 16GB 2400mhz Corsair
GPU : GTX 970 HOF
SSD 120GB for Windows 8.1 64bit
1TB HDD for everything else

NOTHING overclocked

After installing the GTX 970 I ran the DDU in safe mode after downloading from GURU3D.com, ran in safe mode (but didnt get the options like in the BRITEC video "System Thread Execption" Remoce C:/AMD and or c:/Nvidia folders) but ran it anyway, reinstalled Nvidia Experience and latest graphic drivers.
This seemed to work for a couple of hours, then I started to get the crashs again  Huh

I think with the GPU upgrade and the RAM upgrade ( I have set BIOS to run the RAM sticks at 2400mhz ) this rules out that it was ever a hardware issue with the GTX 680.

I get a range of .sys errors, SYSTEM SERVICE EXEPTION dxgkrnl.sys or cng.sys, it happens when playing new games on very high settings or playing old games like CSGO and is inconsistant as can happen after 10mins or an hour of play.

I am pulling my hair out as Ive spent a lot of money on this rig building it from scratch, I am stumped to wwhat it could be. I have ran "sfc /scannow" in the cmd promt, no windows intergrity problems where found.

Any ideas???

Kind Regards
iDJG

we need info about BSOD
How to use WhoCrashed

RE: Windows 8.1 Blue Screen Of Death - iDJG - 03-03-2016

I have WhoCrashed software, its saying no dump files found at the minute for some reason, but basically on old scans of the dmp files it says "SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION" pointing at driver issues and says third party driver cannot be identified at this time. with whatever .sys file is displayed at the time of the blue screen

RE: Windows 8.1 Blue Screen Of Death - iDJG - 03-04-2016

Angry Im thinking to just format my E drive (1 TB HDD ) and reinstalling windows on the SSD. This way, if the crash's keep occuring then i can put it down to a hardware issue Confused . Is this right Huh , or would you recommend something else first??? All user input would be welcome Idea

RE: Windows 8.1 Blue Screen Of Death - Timster - 03-05-2016

Sorry you are having issues. A few things to try:
  • Go into BIOS load default settings, f10 save and reboot
  • Right click the start button and select "run" then type mdsched.exe in the run box and hit enter. Select the "Restart your computer and check for problems". Your computer will reboot and run a memory diagnostics using this command.
  • I see no power supply listed in your specs. What is the make and wattage of your power supply?
  • What are the temps on your cpu and gpu under load?
  • Re-install and/or be sure you have the latest version of Directx Windows 10_Dowload_update_Install
  • Disable any antivirus software while gaming to rule out conflict
  • Download and run FurMark and see if system crashes while monitoring your gpu temps

Note that you did say your computer was crashing even before the video card upgrade correct?

RE: Windows 8.1 Blue Screen Of Death - aidenbrown - 03-11-2016

Reinstall windows 8.1  operating system or uninstall last install software, because this software create some issues for your system.