Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vista OS Machine will not boot
Hi,
I have a slow hp pavilion dv7 laptop running vista. Right after I cleaned the Prefetch folder, the system turned off. I thought maybe the battery died because I was not using a the charger. I finally tried with the charger and the computer powers on, but that's it. Windows does not load, just a blank screen. I re-seated the rams, hard drive. I borrowed a vista OS DVD, where I had to manually open the DVD drive, but to no avail. I will check the fans later and see. Any help that anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.

Why did you clean the Prefetch folder in the first place???

I would remove the battery and the power cable then hold the power button down for 45secs then plug in just the power cable and see if it boots up.

When you say Blank screen, do you mean a Black screen or a White screen?

(03-31-2015, 10:22 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  Why did you clean the Prefetch folder in the first place???

I would remove the battery and the power cable then hold the power button down for 45secs then plug in just the power cable and see if it boots up.

When you say Blank screen, do you mean a Black screen or a White screen?

The machine was running very slow and I read that to help speed it up, cleaning the temp files and prefetch would help speed it up. I have done so on other machines that I have (XP and win 7) and I never had this problem/. The screen is black.

Cleaning the Prefetch actually slows down the system as it has to re-initialize the start up items. It's a urban myth that it speeds things up.

Did you try the other methods I mentioned?

Do you even get a POST screen when you first turn it on?
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

(04-01-2015, 01:01 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  Cleaning the Prefetch actually slows down the system as it has to re-initialize the start up items. It's a urban myth that it speeds things up.

Did you try the other methods I mentioned?

Yes I did those before I posted a request for help.

(04-01-2015, 02:28 PM)Timster Wrote:  Do you even get a POST screen when you first turn it on?

No, I don't, no beeps nothing. Just a blank black screen

Nothing you do to the prefetch would cause your computer not to post. You have something else going on there. Sounds like a faulty component is causing this. You need to start removing parts to see if you can get the computer to post again. I would start with the battery and Hard Drive. Remove those and see if the computer at least posts.
912-220-0765

(04-02-2015, 02:55 PM)Timster Wrote:  Nothing you do to the prefetch would cause your computer not to post. You have something else going on there. Sounds like a faulty component is causing this. You need to start removing parts to see if you can get the computer to post again. I would start with the battery and Hard Drive. Remove those and see if the computer at least posts.

Yes. Last night I disassembled the laptop and will clean the fans, heat sink, thermal paste etc.
Thank you

Photo 
Please see attached picture of the motherboard.  What does the black spot on the gpu means? Sorry I never seen this before.

Thanks

Just install one stick of ram, cpu fan, plug in the display and power on the motherboard to see if you get a post.
912-220-0765