Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FAT32 formatted HDD is there more to it?
I have spent about 5 weeks trying to get my computer to discover the HDD and each time I would boot up using the HDD/UEFI settings in the BIOS it would always return the message "No Bootable device".
Attempting to get around this problem, through experimentation discovered that the computer would log in using any other option with the legacy settings.  (USB, DVD/CD) As long as I used the legacy configuration the computer would login fine. (no there is no data in any of the drive cd/dvd or USB.)
When saying it would log in fine means that the computer would log to the OS. However when attempting any type of upgrade it would always lock up during the install.

I cam across an article discussing the need to format the HDD with the FAT32 configuration.
I did that which led to resolving my issue with the "No Bootable Device"

Windows 10 installed perfectly.

So my question is, does windows take the correct format and run with it setting up all partitions correctly or is there other adjustments required to have the correct partitions setup?

Regards,

Phillip, what size hard drive are you describing?
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

Hi Timster:
Thank for your reply.
I've had a five week activity getting my computer to boot from the Hard Drive / UEFI configuration.
I learned that when setting up an ISO the burn tool (RUFUS in my case) must setup the configuration
using the FAT32 format arrangement.
After installing the program after using RUFUS it found the hard drive and successfully installed windows 10.
Prior to making this change from NTFS to FAT32 I was greeted each time trying to boot the system with
NO BOOTABLE DEVICE.
That came just after turning the system on.

So my question is are there alternative settings in BIOS I should make?

System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire ES1-711
BIOS: V1.05
Processor: Intel Pentium CPU N3540 @ 2.16
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Hard Drive: 464 GB

Regards

Really not quite sure what you are saying. If you are just installing Windows 10 on that hard drive you should let the Windows startup drive options do the formatting before proceeding to install Windows.
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

(09-09-2015, 10:01 PM)Timster Wrote:  Really not quite sure what you are saying. If you are just installing Windows 10 on that hard drive you should let the Windows startup drive options do the formatting before proceeding to install Windows.

Sorry about not posting more clearly. When I setup the iso with Rufus to burn to USB I set it up with the FAT32
configuration. This was when all things holy and good came together.

Prior to this I went to the command prompt (administrator) and did a Disk format which I set the format to do it's thing with the NTFS. I think what you said about letting Windows 10 do all the work answers my questions.
That is as long as Windows installs without hic up we are good to go?

You have to remember Win8.1 + uses GPT instead of standard MBR so if you're setting up the partitions yourself then you need to get it spot on which is why Windows offers to do it for you as long as you're booting in UEFI mode. (just FWIW) Wink