Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Win 10 Start menu no left click on mouse
Both my desktop and laptop have lost the function of using my mouse and making a selection in the start menu and to select task manager. The mouse will left click on desktop icon and it opens the same program on the start menu will not start. Sometimes when you hover over a tile you get a white box like it sees your mouse sometimes not. Either way if you try to click on Apps nothing happens also left clicking on power does not work but if you hit the windows key and tab to power you can arrow down to restart or shutdown and that works. I am sure I am not the only one with this problem asy suggestions?

is this a USB mouse or PS 2 mouse ?
  • Uninstall your mouse using device manager
  • right click your mouse Uninstall
  • unplug your mouse then restart your system
  • then plug your mouse back into the computer

Attached Files
.png   2015-09-30 16_46_49-Device Manager.png (Size: 40.53 KB / Downloads: 21)

Thank you for your suggestion I would have never thought of my solution had I not read your reply.  I have 2 Logitech wireless mice both using the same  type unifying receiver as my wireless keyboard. I could left click on desktop icons and it would work but when I tries to use the start menu the tiles and Apps and when I tried to end task with task manager left click would not work, I have a desktop and a laptop both running windows 10. I tried a wired mouse after it started and still no left click.  

I thought it was a Windows 10 issue based on the number of videos on you-tube how to fix this issue it happened to both machines. It first happened on my desktop hat I normally use my laser mouse with so my first instinct was to try my track ball mouse to see if it was a mouse problem or software problem. While using the tract ball I was able to try a couple of fixes and got it to work again fast ford two weeks it happened to the laptop same problem and solution. 

Then after getting the laptop to correct itself it happened to the desktop again thistime I could not get it to fix so I contacted Microsoft through chat and I was having to chat on the laptop and they were logged into my desktop that went on for 4 hours they said it was fixed with them using their mouse and doing the same steps I had been doing it worked till I tried using my laser mouse  it died again. 

I had backed up my data and after it failing again the tech from Microsoft had answered my question as to why it kept happening he said windows was getting corrupted so I thought u just run d-ban on the hard drive put 7 on it do all the updates and then let it upgrade to 10. All that went smooth till I decided to go from my track ball mouse back to my laser mouse and kaput it went tried the wired keyboard and wired mouse it started to work perfectly without trying any fixes so I thought I would try my trackball mouse first because the wired mouse is real jumpy and you really have to work at clicking at what you are aiming at it worked perfectly till I tried the laser mouse and kaput it went again. 

I tried the trackball it works perfectly. I tried the laser on my laptop and kaput it went . then I tried the trackball on the laptop It worked again. Hence my 2 month old mouse is DOA got to take it in for a replacement this afternoon where I bought it. Windows  had been perfect and since I could left click on desktop icons and it would work I would not ever have suspected the mouse. It still could be a software issue but that is for another day.  Also I tried 2 different Logitech unifying receivers same results with both. If I have any problems with the replacement mouse I will take that up with Logitech since they have not  bothered to answer my email yet and they have no phone  number available to call for support. I assumed that you could contact them if you had a problem but I am sure that they are not the only company  that does not want to talk to the  customer who will never buy their products again. Sorry for the book hope may help someone else.