Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wifi only works when PC is on
Hello guys,

As of late (and since upgrading to Windows 10) I've had a wifi problem.

Here's my setup:

VMedia Superhub (downstairs) and Netgear WNR3500v2 Router Upstairs, used as extender for better coverage. (hard wired from Superhub)

The Netgear is hard-wired to a PC upstairs and in the past, (ever since Windows XP right through to Windows 7) if the upstairs PC was off, the wifi would still broadcast and allow wifi devices to go online. It was working ok on Windows 10 too until 3 days ago, but now, if the PC to which the netgear is hardwired too is off, there is no wifi.

Also, as a secondary question, I would appreciate some help with this niggle: If I'm downstairs, my iPhone shows I'm connected to the 'superhub' while upstairs the wifi is called 'netgear' it's all the same connection as 'netgear' is an extender to 'superhub' it gets complicated at times if you move around the house and it keeps chopping and changing between the two wireless networks. My question is this: Is it possible to make superhub and netgear networks work as one wireless network instead of 2 seperate ones? Obviously I can't just change the SSID to superhub, since I would still have two wifi networks both of which would be called superhub! I just want one wifi network for the entire house.

Also, I have not installed any new software or devices, my system is clean of malware and Windows 10 has all the latest updates. Both routers firmware are up to date too. I have tried system restore but no difference.
Remember! You should exercise complete CTRL and you ALT to think carefully before you DELete stuff willy nilly.

factory reset the router,.

[Image: router.png] Router Reset

Reset Router to Factory Default Settings:

• Typically a reset can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router.
  • Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 30 seconds)
  • In order to get to the router's server, type http:\\192.168.1.1 in the address bar and click Enter. You should see the log in window.
  • Fill in the password you have already found and you will get the configuration page.
  • Configure the router to allow you to connect to your ISP server. In some routers it is done by a setup wizard.
  • If you do not have a setup wizard you have to fill in the log in password your ISP has initially given to you. You can also call your ISP if you don't have your initial password.
  • Don't forget to change the routers default password and set a stronger, more complex password. Note down the password and keep it somewhere for future reference.

(10-06-2015, 12:44 PM)Compton Wrote:  factory reset the router,.

I reset the router, and the only change is that it asks for the password. I get promoted for the password for that connection and when I enter it, I get a message saying "unable to connect to Netgear"  Undecided

The password I enter is correct.
Remember! You should exercise complete CTRL and you ALT to think carefully before you DELete stuff willy nilly.

Since you factory reset your router you will have to go back in and reset all of your previous settings and password.
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

Thanks for the help @Compton. The videos were very interesting and while they didn't help me fix my issue, they were very informative.

I managed to sort the mysterious problem out, it turned out to have nothing to do with the router, it was a setting within Windows 10 (at least for me anyway, other people experiencing this problem may need to go down a different route) I shall make a tutorial when I get time, showing how I fixed my particular issue as this seems to be a common problem with no solution.

glad you got working looking forward to that tutorial