Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My toshiba Laptop fan is making lots of noise
@ REC560

When you say "making noise" what kind of noise? Is is just spinning really fast or are you getting some kind of rattling noise?
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

(10-11-2015, 02:54 PM)Timster Wrote:  @ REC560

When you say "making noise" what kind of noise? Is is just spinning really fast or are you getting some kind of rattling noise?

some kind of rattling noise

I had the same issue on my old Sony Vaio laptop. I made sure the laptop was free from viruses and malware, uninstalled old/unnecessary programs and ran various cleaning utilities. The problem still remained. I then resorted to a full re-install of the operating system but to no avail.

I opened the laptop up and the fan was caked in dust! I cleaned the fan put the the laptop back together and it was silent, even when running programs. It only came on when it was supposed to.

Please note!

First, if you open your laptop, you WILL INVALUDATE any kind of warranty you have (even extended warranty)

Secondly, only attempt this if you are COMPETENT and you know what you're doing. There are very sensitive parts inside, and some laptops are harder than others to open and even harder trying to access the fan.

If in doubt, seek professional help. Don't just open your laptop and hope for the best, you could end up with an expensive paper-weight.
Remember! You should exercise complete CTRL and you ALT to think carefully before you DELete stuff willy nilly.

it's probably that the fan need cleaning can you please run the scan's I requested to make sure your computer is virus free

You will need to investigate the fan. If the fan is rattling you either have something lodged in the fan shroud or the bearings/bushings in the fan have worn out. It is very easy to access the fan on that model laptop. Always remove the battery first. Basically if you remove all of the screws on the bottom of the laptop you will be able to remove the back cover and have full access to the fan. You can then take compressed air and blow out the fan and fan shroud to free if of any dust. Inspect to be sure no foreign object is in the fan shroud. I have seen bits of plastic or even a screw that came lose and get caught in the shroud. You can open the lid of the laptop and set it on it's side then power on the laptop to observe the fan and to test to see if the fan still makes the noise. If you determine the fan itself is bad then removing it is easy. The fan is held in place with only a few screws. Finding a new fan would be easy and inexpensive.

If you continue to use the laptop with a rattling fan the issue could get worse and the fan can actually fail causing your laptop to overheat and potentially causing damage to you components

Here is a video of how to gain access and removal of the fan @1:45 the entire bottom is already removed. @2:15 the fan is removed. Hope this helps.

Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

I would not use that power tool having this kit will help you

iFixit Essential Electronics Toolkit