Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 Upgrade (Again / Again)
Hello All,

New here (so hello again), found your site via YouTube vids and been very helpful so far for a few odds and ends... anyway onto the real quesiton and post.

I upgraded to Win 10 (from 8.1) torwards the end of Aug15, a few weeks after the release and all went well about 4 weeks after this I had a Blue screen crash (the new type) pale blue/sad smilley :-( and could not then load windows'

With the help of a friend I restored back to 8.1, and proceeded to then do another Win 10 install from a "clean" 1st C:\ drive (a 256GB SSD) -- the Win10 install succeded without any issue and I then proceeded to load all my apps to this drive.  My 2nd drive main disk is a 1TB 'normal' disk and has all of my data on this.

After about a week up and running again the system then blue screened again -- not the same error message, however Win 10 does not seem to like something on my PC.

I'm back now again to Win 8.1 and everything is stable. I had to reload the Apps onto my 1st drive after a restore of Windows.

Since all of this I've now take another 1st disk image of my C:\ drive with Acronis -- fully loaded with apps and running OK.

I'm not so worried about the data (2nd disk) as I have this backed up to a NAS on the router and also to Dropbox....

So (and perhaps getting to the point), I do want to move to Win 10 at some point, howeve with the above have decided to wait a little longer.

What else can I do to "prepare" I've just installed a copy of "WhoCrashed" onto my machine incase but don't really know how I would get to the logs if the machine blue screen's again after a Win10 upgrade.

Now that I have images of my machine, I plane to update these on Win8.1 before my next upgrade and then a image of Win 10 after the upgarde but as above _should_ it crash again would not know how to recover without doing a restore (if you see what I mean).

Sadly (and stupidly) I did not take a note of the error codes that I kept from the previous attempts which I know I should but hey...... lesson learnt.

I have an inkinling the crash may have been caused by my Graphics card/driver, however this is more a hunch than anything.

Happy to post my PC specs (have these saved off from Speccy). Posted summary below (in a code window)

Sorry this 1st post is i) a little long, ii) a ramble and iii) about problems I have had and may well face again...

Hope someone can give me some pointers before I take the plunge again....

Many Thanks,

Brian

Code:
Summary
Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz 36 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS VI HERO (SOCKET 1150) 28 °C
Graphics
NEC LCD1860NX (1280x1024@75Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (EVGA) 27 °C
Storage
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0 (SATA) 33 °C
223GB OCZ-AGILITY3 (SSD) 30 °C
29GB Kingston DataTraveler 3.0 USB Device (USB)
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0
LaCie Group SA LaCie 1394 DVD-R/RW+CD drive LUN 0. IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

ok if the Blue screen happen Again post a Blue report how to post a blue screen report with WhoCrashed on the forum

Hello Compton,

Many thanks for the reply and tutorial very helpful.

One further question please -- is there a recommneded process to get back onto/into the PC after a blue screen crash ?
Last couple of times I restored the image, which would then remove the logs from who crashed.

Is there a process to go into Windows in Safe mode you can recoomend or can I make a bootable USB that would allow me to get into Windows and then get the data from WhoCrashed.

Sorry if this is covered else where on the forum cound not find it.

Thanks,

Brian

yes booting into safe mode would be best with networking

then lunch WhoCrashed How to Get to Safe Mode in Windows 10