Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
reinstall Windows 8 but don't know embedded key
Hi everyone,
got a tricky one here :

The hard drive failed in a HP laptop and I need to install a new hard drive but two problems

One

After starting Windows set up windows 8 error pops

Load driver.

A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or hard disk driver. If you a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with the driver on it, please insert it now.

Note; If the installation media for Windows is in the DVD drive or on a USB drive, you can safely remove it for this step

I have no clue what it's asking for so I can't continue

Two

How can I know the product key if it's embedded in bios and also in bios I know the OS is Windows 8 I have tried to install but not got past the first error above

I did attempt to use Windows 8.1 to install as that doesn't kick up the first error, however it gets stuck asking for the key ?

Product is:

HP laptop Envy m6 Notebook PC
Model: m6-1206TX
Product D5F63PA#ABG

your help and guidance would be great I don't have a backup or rescue or restore DVD's

many thanks

tmy

note this key will not  activate windows 8/8.1 its just a windows 8/8.1 generic key so you can activate later

for windows 8 Professional) XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB

windows 8.1 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT

after installing windows 8 you can get  the key from bios

How To Retrieve Windows 8 OEM Product Key From BIOS

If you had Windows 8.1 installed before the HDD died you should be able to install that instead of going back to 8.

If it's asking for a PK then you don't have the correct version installed make sure you either had Win8.1 Core or Pro and that it was either 64bit or 32bit.

The correct version will install the PK automatically.

(10-31-2015, 08:51 PM)Compton Wrote:  note this key will not  activate windows 8. its just a windows 8 windows 8.1 generic key so you can activate later

for windows 8 Professional) XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB

windows 8.1  334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT

after installing windows 8 you can get  the key from bios

How To Retrieve Windows 8 OEM Product Key From BIOS

Hi Compton,
thank you very much your advice was spot on
one question I have is this, the laptop originally had Windows 8 installed then updated to Windows 8.1 and eventually to Windows 10

How could one skip all the messing about updating and simply just install Windows 10 without purchasing a copy of Windows 10 if you see what I'm meaning ?

What I mean is the original pc had windows 8 but the hard drive died while on Windows 10 so I bet it's not possible to simply install Windows 10 and expect the bios to figure out it's allowed to used Windows 10 :-)

Thank you for you help I have managed to get a copy installed using your generic Windows 8.1 key and will no try to find the embedded product key

tmy :-)

(10-31-2015, 10:22 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  If you had Windows 8.1 installed before the HDD died you should be able to install that instead of going back to 8.

If it's asking for a PK then you don't have the correct version installed make sure you either had Win8.1 Core or Pro and that it was either 64bit or 32bit.

The correct version will install the PK automatically.

Hi GuiltySpark,
thank you for your help the problem is the pc would have had Windows 10 installed as an upgrade but originally Windows 8 confused yet ? lol

all good now installed Windows 8.1 no idea what version and used a generic key from Compton to install will activate later after getting the embedded key form bios hopefully

Poor paying customer suffers hoop jumping again go old Microsoft hey they have to protect their rubbish operating system somehow

cheers

tmy

normally if you upgraded to windows 10 and it was activated

you should be able to do a clean install of windows 10 and it should be activated

(11-01-2015, 03:24 PM)Compton Wrote:  normally if you upgraded to windows 10 and it was activated

you should be able to do a clean install of windows 10 and it should be activated

Hi Compton,
wow that is handy but please could you explain the mechanics behind it all because I'm confused

It must be the embedded code that is registered on the all knowing Microsoft server and then the trail of updates linked to the bios key in it's original form knows hey this is allowed to install and be activated with Windows 10

Thank you Compton again great advice and for taking time out to assist

I hope others have taken something from this as well

regards

tmy

ok first off if you has windows 10 home or professional 32bit or 64bit

you must reinstall that version of windows 10

Microsoft store your laptop hardware on too a server with a unique hash

so when you clean install windows 10 Microsoft will match that hash to your laptop

(11-01-2015, 04:56 PM)Compton Wrote:  ok first off if you has windows 10 home or professional  32bit or 64bit

you must reinstall that version of windows 10

Microsoft store your laptop hardware on too a server with a  unique hash

so when you clean install windows 10 Microsoft will match that hash to your laptop

Hi Compton,
thank you for that clever stuff so really it should be impossible for pirates to operate now if the hardware doesn't match your doomed

which is fair enough even though Microsoft's stuff is awful they deserve payment all be it $10 for the O/S and $20 for Office would be more a fair amount

regards

tmy

download windows 10

Windows 10 ISO Download

Hi Compton,
thank you for your excellent help, I'm sure others have found your advice helpful as well

kind regards

tmy