Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
recovery drive
Hi Folks, I have a HP Pavilion p6-2310 PC. I was wondering if i can wipe out the D drive that has windows 8 recovery and utilize that as a windows 10 recovery. I have AOMEI partition installed but I need further information what to do and not to do and if this possible to do this task.Much Info is appreciated Thanks David

(11-06-2015, 04:02 AM)itsjustdave Wrote:  Hi Folks, I have a HP Pavilion p6-2310 PC. I was wondering if i can wipe out the D drive that has windows 8 recovery and utilize that as a windows 10 recovery. I have AOMEI partition installed but I need further information what to do and not to do and if this possible to do this task.Much Info is appreciated Thanks David

Hi David,

The first thing I would recommend you do before anything else is create a complete system image of your computer just in case something should go wrong, don't forget to select your recovery partition too, not just your C:/ drive. Just follow Brian's video.

The next thing you need to do is get rid of the Windows 8 recovery partition by going to computer management (right click 'this PC' and chose 'computer management') select the recovery Partition and delete it (right click, delete). You will notice that the partition will still be there afterwards, however, it will now be shown as 'unallocated space'

You then need to merge that unallocated space with your C:/ drive by 'extending' it. follow this tutorial.

Once you have successfully done this, you then need to create your Windows 10 recovery partition by following another of Brian's videos:

Once you have successfully done this, I would then recommend that you create ANOTHER system image, not forgetting the now newly created Windows 10 recovery partition. You may want to keep the original system image created earlier in case you ever want to go back to Windows 8.

It may seem like overkill with the system image creations, but I've learned that you can never be 'safe enough' Smile
Remember! You should exercise complete CTRL and you ALT to think carefully before you DELete stuff willy nilly.

Wait, so you want to remove win8 recovery and install win10 recovery?

So you're keeping the 8 OS but using a 10 recovery?

David, my tutorial above is assuming that:

1. You are wanting to upgrade to Windows 10, or

2. You have already upgraded to Windows 10, but were left with the original Windows 8 recovery partition after the upgrade.

As GuiltySpark has pointed out, it is a very bad idea to be running Windows 8 OS and having a Windows 10 recovery partition! Thanks for pointing that out GuiltySpark. - Assumtions can be dangerous Smile
Remember! You should exercise complete CTRL and you ALT to think carefully before you DELete stuff willy nilly.

(11-06-2015, 02:18 PM)EAPTCB Wrote:  David, my tutorial above is assuming that:

2. You have already upgraded to Windows 10, but were left with the original Windows 8 recovery partition after the upgrade.

As GuiltySpark has pointed out, it is a very bad idea to be running Windows 8 OS and having a Windows 10 recovery partition! Thanks for pointing that out GuiltySpark. - Assuming can be a dangerous thing Smile

I already have windows 10 install and dont plan on going back to windows 8. I just wanted to know if it was safe to remove the win 8 recovery and replace it with win 10 recovery thanks david

(11-06-2015, 02:55 PM)itsjustdave Wrote:  
(11-06-2015, 02:18 PM)EAPTCB Wrote:  David, my tutorial above is assuming that:

As GuiltySpark has pointed out, it is a very bad idea to be running Windows 8 OS and having a Windows 10 recovery partition! Thanks for pointing that out GuiltySpark. - Assuming can be a dangerous thing Smile

I already have windows 10 install and dont plan on going back to windows 8. I just wanted to know if it was safe to remove the win 8 recovery and replace it with win 10 recovery thanks david

Yes, that should be fine.

thank you folks for the info