Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alienware P2 case question
The P2 case I have has the LED and one fan controller connected to the Floppy header at the bottom of my P5N-D MB.Is there a way of connecting it to the H170 Pro Gaming board or am I poked?

There are 3 chassi fan headers and 2 cpu fan headers (cpu and alt cpu) on the Asus H170 PRO GAMING motherboard.
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

(02-21-2016, 03:46 AM)Timster Wrote:  There are 3 chassi fan headers and 2 cpu fan headers (cpu and alt cpu) on the Asus H170 PRO GAMING motherboard.

Oh,I guess I don't have the vocabulary.....I meant that there is a small module mounted to the bottom of the case by Alienware that has a vertical connector board that activates the Case door fan and controls the LED for the door.It also controls the color of the system LED's as a whole.The whole module is the size of a pack of cigs and is also wired with a molex 4 pin along with being plugged into the Floppy IDE cable header.The DVD is plugged into the IDE connector beneath the 20\24 pin on the right side of the board.I wish I could describe it better....I just haven't had to do much to this thing in 7 years.I added the Q9650 in '11 and the DDR2 GSkill at the same time.That is all I have had to do to this thing hardware wise.I appreciate ppl trying to help....I need it. Wink The eyes don't help any more and the lack of patience doesn't either.I just don't know enough about the new stuff.So much for being a disabled Motorcycle Tech.

As you said the "module mounted to the bottom of the case by Alienware" is all terminated into either the power supply or the motherboard. You need to determine how that "module" is powered. By the Power Supply or by the Motherboard.
912-220-0765

(02-21-2016, 04:28 AM)Timster Wrote:  As you said the   "module mounted to the bottom of the case by Alienware" is all terminated into either the power supply or the motherboard. You need to determine how that "module" is powered. By the Power Supply or by the Motherboard.
Thank you....I have been looking straight at it from the outside of course and my 60 year old eyes 'ain't cuttin' it.It is right in FRONT of the Floppy header so I can't see the actual connection........the sin of assumption.Assuming makes an ass outta me....lol.If it can't be powered by both(which I didn't know)it has to be the 4 pin....I hope....that will make my life a LOT easier when I actually get to the new board.I am putting the hardware I am using right now in my old Pentium 4 XP midtower.THAT thing I know inside and out.Thx again for the help....very nice of you.

[attachment=753]Here's a pic....I hope.....again

That card is connected to the 1394_2 header. This is a header intended for front panel usb 2.0 ports. From the pic it looks like that is how that card is getting power. The ASUS H170 Pro has 2 such headers so you should be ok. Just out of curiosity, what exactly does that card actually control?
912-220-0765

(02-22-2016, 03:23 PM)Timster Wrote:  That card is connected to the 1394_2 header. This is a header intended for front panel usb 2.0 ports. From the pic it looks like that is how that card is getting power. The ASUS H170 Pro has 2 such headers so you should be ok. Just out of curiosity, what exactly does that card actually control?

It controls the fan that is mounted in the door and the LED lighting for the entire case.There is a small switch panel (out of picture)under what you can see in the pix that you can change the color and different combinations of lighting effects(that I did not purchase but,the board is still there.it is software)There is a 4 pin Molex just out of shot(you can see the tip in lower right)and an ribbon cable connected also.If you would like me to post pix of all just holler.

(02-22-2016, 06:09 PM)PerusTC Wrote:  
(02-22-2016, 03:23 PM)Timster Wrote:  That card is connected to the 1394_2 header. This is a header intended for front panel usb 2.0 ports. From the pic it looks like that is how that card is getting power. The ASUS H170 Pro has 2 such headers so you should be ok. Just out of curiosity, what exactly does that card actually control?

It controls the fan that is mounted in the door and the LED lighting for the entire case.There is a small switch panel (out of picture)under what you can see in the pix that you can change the color and different combinations of lighting effects(that I did not purchase but,the board is still there.it is software)There is a 4 pin Molex just out of shot(you can see the tip in lower right)and an ribbon cable connected also.If you would like me to post pix of all just holler.

Ah you just posted up new pics . Now I see the molex connector on that card so that card is powered by a molex connector from the power supply. I would think now that that card also controls your front panel usb ports also.
912-220-0765

(02-22-2016, 11:40 PM)Timster Wrote:  Ah you just posted up new pics . Now I see the molex connector on that card so that card is powered by a molex connector from the power supply. I would think now that that card also controls your front panel usb ports also.

Yes it does.What gets me is that the H170 manual says NOT to connect the 1394 to USB to keep from frying the board.I think you said that the 1394 was hooked to USB? I dunno.....I am new at this 2016 hardware crap.