Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PC Froze on updates
Good morning Gentlemen, My wife powered off here laptop last night, and it had to finish some updates before it shut down, how ever it never shut down, it has been on update 14 of 16 for 12 hours, the wheel keeps spinning but going nowhere, can I abort this and restart some how not sure what to do, please help
[Image: ykVBGU.jpg]

Do you have any HDD activity (lights on, flickering etc)?

No Sparky, nothing is flashing
it's like it's doing nothing

Only light on is the one thats shows AC power is connected

Oh and the one that shows the keyboard light is on

Then try Ctrl+Alt+Del to take you back to a login page or similar. Restart computer and see if it loads properly.

If not you may have to access Safe mode and see if it boots fine.

OK I'll try BB ASAP, TY

CTRL ALT DEL does nothing, restarted and it went right back to the update screen that says 14 of 16 still

Can you get to Safe Mode?

Not sure what key to hold when I start up, it's an ASUS G75 gaming laptop, I can try and find it online

Sry ASUS G73JH

You could try holding SHIFT+F8 at boot (but that may only work at the login screen which you can't access).

Do you have any recovery media?

Found an asus site that said restart holding F8 but all f keys on restart go right back to 14 of 16 updates
should I remove battery, I am lost my friend was working great, no software on it or anything, just windows

(03-10-2016, 05:02 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  You could try holding SHIFT+F8 at boot (but that may only work at the login screen which you can't access).

Do you have any recovery media?

I have the original install software and the genuine key is that where I am at?
I just installed about a week ago, have not made rec media yet

You could try the removing the battery, removing the power cable, holding down the Start button for 45secs and then plugging in the power cable (Not The Battery) trick, and booting up.

If it goes back to the updates installing screen then let it run for a bit as an ESD corruption could've occurred causing a conflict (nothing serious just a surge). Give it 30 minutes to try to install updates and after that we'll see where we are.