Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Screen: VNC on Debian 8
(04-24-2016, 04:15 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  To setup Desktop environment it should be:

Quote:nano ~/.vnc/xstartup

And the xstartup should be something as simple as:

Quote:#!/bin/sh
#
exec /usr/bin/cinnamon-session

Your current one is still Gnome orientated and not Cinnamon.

Thank You!!

I don't know why it is so hard to get to the chase in all of this stuff  - There was so much stuff I read, and if all I had to do was to run 'exec/cinnamon-session' I would have been all set:  Now, I have done as you directed, but I need to figure a way to get rid of the black background:  I think I have the picture of the 'medivac-helo.jpg, but I see only:

[Image: cinnamon-black-with-pictures-choices.PNG]

Whereas, before you told me to change to 'exec /usr/bin/cinnamon-session, I saw

[Image: cinnamon-black-checks-desktop.PNG]

Now, if I could get rid of the black background and bring her around to the GREEN that my desktop shows from cardinals console, it would be cool Smile  I used

to get me a few ideas:  I think he said you could and have to download a 2D desktop over cinnamon to make it work, as far as I understand, but since I run Debian, its a little crazy Wink

Thanks for the help again Smile

Brian
Brian S. Baker
Linux Enthusiast /Computer Consultant At Large/ "The Wizkid"
System Admin: buddy-baker.us
buddy-baker.us

Have a look here for the background possibilities : https://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?p=247

It does get confusing I know especially this end as I cannot see what you see all the time other than the pics you post but at least it seems we are getting there.
I think it may be a question of seeing what works in what DE.

GuiltySpark:

If you think it would help you to get an idea of what I am seeing over here, then I am willing to set you up as a BBUS user. This way, you could command VNC to do whatever you want, and maybe by looking at the screens in real time, it could help me figure out what is going on.

I would set you up an account with login capability, and if necessary allow you to edit config files that are necessary to make this work,

Let me know Wink

Brian
Brian S. Baker
buddy-baker.us

No need mate I think you're nearly there besides I won't be here much longer.
The medivac image may have to be changed to a .bmp image as VNC using the xsetroot command will only accept bitmap images.

Guiltyspark:

I noticed this when doing 'w'
USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
brian :0 Sun11 ?xdm? 6days 0.30s cinnamon-session --session cinnamon
brian pts/3 cardinal.buddy-b 15:55 1.00s 0.25s 0.09s sshd: brian [priv]
brian pts/0 :0 Sun13 26:24m 0.06s 0.06s bash
=============================================================
I am not sure what the --session cinnamon piece is, but it appears to run, and yesterday, I was able to use rd on BRIAN, and my IPAD 2 to connect to cardinal - I will try to change the medivac-helo pic to a BMP image to see if this works. Also, is there a way to make 'desktop sharing' work with cinnamon? seems like the old gnome desktop allowed me to set the access to Remote Desktop connections, or to make changes, but now, it seems that Desktop Sharing is not there, or not working: Not sure whether I need to change something or download a package, but it is annoying not to be able to change this stuff.

Thank You for all your help sir Wink I will keep you advised Smile

Brian
Brian S. Baker
buddy-baker.us