Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HP Envy 23 Black Screen
Hi,

I have an HP Envy 23 touchscreen All-In-One Desktop PC.

It was running Windows 10 but had viruses and other issues...

The problem started when I was re installing Windows 8.
I was getting a GPT error when I tried to do a clean install.

I booted up with "gparted-live-0.25.0-3-i686" and formated the hard drive. (NTFS)
When I started to install Windows 8 I reached the part where you enter the Computer Name.
The keyboard wasn't working so I turned the PC off. (the keyboard was working fine before and I tried another keyboard)

When I turned it back on, I got a BLACK screen.
I can hear the computer running and the DVD works but NO screen. (no socket for external screen)
I removed and tested the hard drive. (tried a NEW blank hard drive too)
I re seated the RAM (computer has error beeps when booting WITHOUT the RAM in)
I cleaned out the fan which was clogged with dust. (I have NOT removed heatsink yet..)
I removed the cmos battery and tested it.
The keyboard now seems unresponsive when the black screen comes up as if it isn't getting power.
So as it stands, I have a PC that sounds like its working with a blank hard drive but all I get is a BLACK screen.

I would really appreciate any help and advice,
Thanks again!

Skype me too - user: zinc.zee

it could be

1. bad Display
  2. bad memory
  3. bad CPU
  4. bad motherboard
  5. bad power adapter

let's start with the Display plug in the computer to an External display, then looks to see if you will get any display on the monitor
its should have a HDMI port on it

(04-16-2016, 12:05 AM)Compton Wrote:  it could be

Thanks for your reply.
This all-in-one has no external video ports of any kind.
 Undecided

1. bad Display
  2. bad memory
  3. bad CPU
  4. bad motherboard
  5. bad power adapter

let's start with the Display plug in the computer to an External display, then looks to see if you will get any display on the monitor
its should have a HDMI port on it

this one is tricky

try booting into bios see if you get any Display

No way of seeing the bios.
From what I can tell, the usb ports only gets power when something is plugged in for a second, then no power
so I cant really work a keyboard.

I think we found the answer

Envy 20 Black Screen On Startup]

You'll have to get the display to work first. To do that, unplug the power cord from the power outlet, drain the residual charges by pressing the computer power button for 5 seconds and clear the static charge on you. Remove the CMOS battery and put it aside until you've restored your computer. Clear the CMOS by moving the CLR_CMOS jumper from pin 1-2 position to the 2-3 position (the CLR_CMOS jumper is just beside the CMOS battery holder). Plug the power cord into the power outlet for about 5-10 seconds (please take note that it's not necessary to press the power button on the computer but if you do, the power-on light on the computer will come on and nothing else happens because the computer is in the CMOS clearing mode). Unplug the power cord from the power outlet, drain the residual charges by pressing the computer power button for 5 seconds and clear the static charge on you. Move the CLR_CMOS jumper from pin 2-3 position back to the original 1-2 position. Plug the power cord into the power outlet and turn on the computer. The computer will start up and restart itself after a few seconds. If the first attempt is successful, the screen will come on and display a message after a few seconds whereby you can press F1 to boots the computer. If the display is not restored on the first attempt, repeat the above procedure until you get the display to wor

Thanks I'll try this.

Although I just removed the video card which lays flat like the RAM
and the thermal compound on it, is dry like slate, rock solid.
I'm thinking the card got fried but still worth a try,
I will update after I try re-flowing the chip.

Thanks again for your speedy reply.

So I followed these instructions but no joy, I guess I might have to try ordering a video card for it..

(04-16-2016, 05:13 AM)Compton Wrote:  I think we found the answer

Envy 20 Black Screen On Startup]

You'll have to get the display to work first. To do that, unplug the power cord from the power outlet, drain the residual charges by pressing the computer power button for 5 seconds and clear the static charge on you. Remove the CMOS battery and put it aside until you've restored your computer. Clear the CMOS by moving the CLR_CMOS jumper from pin 1-2 position to the 2-3 position (the CLR_CMOS jumper is just beside the CMOS battery holder). Plug the power cord into the power outlet for about 5-10 seconds (please take note that it's not necessary to press the power button on the computer but if you do, the power-on light on the computer will come on and nothing else happens because the computer is in the CMOS clearing mode). Unplug the power cord from the power outlet, drain the residual charges by pressing the computer power button for 5 seconds and clear the static charge on you. Move the CLR_CMOS jumper from pin 2-3 position back to the original 1-2 position. Plug the power cord into the power outlet and turn on the computer. The computer will start up and restart itself after a few seconds. If the first attempt is successful, the screen will come on and display a message after a few seconds whereby you can press F1 to boots the computer. If the display is not restored on the first attempt, repeat the above procedure until you get the display to work

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I would not surprised have the video card went bad cooling the problem there
I would test the power Adopter also test to see if you are getting any power to the motherboard  try swapping memory