Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Switching PS Question
As I have mentioned repeatedly I have a 750W Alienware switching PS.Tonight at boot up the puter went to the American Megatrends screen with a notice that a failsafe had been activated due to a power surge from a faulty PS.Can I trust this as a fact or a BIOS stability issue?(also discussed at length)The machine is booted at present with same PS.Thx

edit:I have ERP SR5 enabled to shut off the mouse backlight when it's not running.The mouse is a CM Storm from the dual package.The mouse lights up BEFORE the PS cycles.Normally the PS clicks before anything else.

#1 Back up your data. I would continue to use your computer until the same or similar errors occur again. Post back if psu errors still occur.
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

(04-08-2016, 03:57 AM)Timster Wrote:  #1 Back up your data. I would continue to use your computer until the same or similar errors occur again. Post back if psu errors still occur.

Thx Tim...as far as backing up data...I just play games....no social media,chat,pix,personal data etc...just games.So,I have all my saves,patches,PDF's etc on disk.Also I have 2 back up PSU's if I need them.1 switching like this one and a Ultra LSP.

(04-08-2016, 05:50 AM)PerusTC Wrote:  
(04-08-2016, 03:57 AM)Timster Wrote:  #1 Back up your data. I would continue to use your computer until the same or similar errors occur again. Post back if psu errors still occur.

Thx Tim...as far as backing up data...I just play games....no social media,chat,pix,personal data etc...just games.So,I have all my saves,patches,PDF's etc on disk.Also I have 2 back up PSU's if I need them.1 switching like this one and a Ultra LSP.

Timster,Had the same thing come up yesterday.....ASUS Surge Protection disabled boot to protect environment.I boot my puter 5-6 times a day when checking something and 1-2 times for just gaming.Never had this problem before I purchased new MB.Same PSU,Same case.

Have you tried loading defaults in your bios?
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

(04-16-2016, 02:40 PM)Timster Wrote:  Have you tried loading defaults in your bios?

They are always on defaults....I don't mess with BIOS unless I have to or should.

did you upgrade the Bios ?

(04-16-2016, 05:24 PM)Compton Wrote:  did  you upgrade the Bios ?

No,everything is default....still has original boot version 0303.

I would try swapping out power supply to see if it still would happen

(04-16-2016, 08:36 PM)Compton Wrote:  I would try swapping out power supply to see if it still would happen

I had forgotten that I set the ERP to enabled to turn off the Mouse LED at shutdown.When powering up the machine powers the mouse first and then the switch for the MB power lights.I am guessing that this being a 7 year old PSU that the new MB doesn't quite jibe with it.I have disabled ERP and to heck with the mouse light.It starts normally now and I will see if that makes a difference in the long run.If it does it at some point I will try one of my other PSU's.

For the record gaming machines are not quite the same animals as workstations.....Britec would most likely agree.True gamers don't have a lot of garbageware if any on their puters they just play games.....like me....... Wink