Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Incorrect password
Hi, new to this forum and was directed from the YouTube page, and in need of help. I'm running windows vista, have been for 4-5 years, always had the same password, but last night it decided it didn't like it anymore and is saying "the user name or password is incorrect". I'm the only user. I have burnt onto a DVD-r the "Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor" reset program, but can't get it to do anything. Have inserted the disc and restarted the computer but it just opens the normal start page. Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry for the poor discretion I'm not very computer literate. Thanks Dave

Hi Dave

We may need to have your computer specs as it can help us to help you more.

If you know how to get into the BIOS settings then please do so.

Navigate your way to the Boot Configuration and make sure CD / DVD drive is selected as first boot.

(08-19-2015, 07:50 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  Hi Dave

We may need to have your computer specs as it can help us to help you more.

If you know how to get into the BIOS settings then please do so.

Navigate your way to the Boot Configuration and make sure CD / DVD drive is selected as first boot.

Ok, it's a compaq pc. Other than that I'm not sure, sorry. On start up a options screen briefly appeares with four options, f10-setup f11-system recovery f9-diagnostics Esc-boot menu. I have pressed Esc and clicked on the CD-ROM but it starts as normal.

At the bottom of the Boot settings does it have certain key functions like page up / page down to move / change boot config?

In other words is the CD-ROM option top of the list?

(08-19-2015, 08:26 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  At the bottom of the Boot settings does it have certain key functions like page up / page down to move / change boot config?

In other words is the CD-ROM option top of the list?

Ok, I've gone into the boot settings, and I have two options to choose from, optiarc DVD RW AD-7201s6 or ST3500620AS. I've tried both and I still end up at the normal start up page.

did you try disabling secure boot ? in the bois

what is your computer specs or model

(08-19-2015, 09:07 PM)Compton Wrote:  did you try disable secure boot ? in the bois

what is your computer specs or model

Sorry not sure how to disable secure boot. Not sure on spec and model, must sound stupid on a tech forum but I bought it 4-5 years ago and tap away with my index finger to produce quotes and invoices.

ok post your your system specs https://briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=665

(08-19-2015, 07:47 PM)edwards27 Wrote:  Hi, new to this forum and was directed from the YouTube page, and in need of help. I'm running windows vista, have been for 4-5 years, always had the same password, but last night it decided it didn't like it anymore and is saying "the user name or password is incorrect". I'm the only user. I have burnt onto a DVD-r the "Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor" reset program, but can't get it to do anything. Have inserted the disc and restarted the computer but it just opens the normal start page. Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry for the poor discretion I'm not very computer literate. Thanks Dave

Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor doesn't support UEFI secure boot. You have to change the boot mode from UEFI to legacy (or CSM), and turn off secure boot. If there is no related settings, you might have to use an UEFI compatible live CD such as PCUnlocker, Elcomsoft, Passware, etc.

If the computer shipped with Windows Vista then there is no secure boot present. Secure boot was not introduced till late Windows 7 era. try using a password clear utility that is built into Trinity Rescue Kit or Offline NT Password Editor

Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net