Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem With Shutdown and Restart
Hello everyone,

I have recently went through the Windows 10 Upgrade procedure and clean installation. After doing this I went to Dell and downloaded their Driver Checker and had a graphic update and a BIOS update. So I did those and everything went perfectly. Everything was fine until one day I noticed that my computer didn't fully power down. Everything was shutdown but the power was still on. I held the button down and everything was fine. Turned it back on, nothing out of the ordinary. So I continued to use it and when I did some windows updates and restarted it, it didn't restart properly. It said restarting and then just shutdown. I then had to hold the power button again to get it to fully power down. Pressed the button again and it started the updates as if it just restarted. I am not sure what to think about this. Some times the shutdown works properly and others doesn't the restart never works properly. Any suggestions would be great thanks.

I will be buying the Professional edition and doing another clean install that might do it.

P.S. This is a "Dell Laptop Inspiron 7000 Series 7547." One other thing, I noticed after the upgrade my battery drains a lot faster than it did with Windows 8.1, not sure if that's something worth mentioning.

Thanks everyone,
God Bless...

have seen were malware can prevent a computer from shutting down or restarting

[Image: malwarebytes-icon.png] Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Install the progam and select update.
  • Once updated, click the Settings tab, in the left panel choose Detctions & protection and tick Scan for rootkits.
  • Click the Scan tab, choose Threat Scan is checked and click Scan Now.
  • If threats are detected, click the Apply Actions button. You will now be prompted to reboot. Click Yes.
  • Upon completion of the scan (or after the reboot), click the History tab.
  • Click Application Logs and double-click the Scan Log.
  • At the bottom click Export and choose Text file.
Save the file to your desktop and include its content in your next reply.

(06-24-2016, 10:28 AM)Compton Wrote:  have seen were malware can prevent a computer from shutting down or restarting

It was a clean install so the HDD was formatted no chance of viruses transferring over. I'll check using MB and SAS, those are the ones I use.

Thanks

If every thing was fine, I would go back before the changes, drivers and what not. system restore.
WannaBeGeek

ok you should still run the scan I am a bit lose MB and SAS?

(06-24-2016, 11:06 PM)Double clutch Wrote:  If every thing was fine, I would go back before the changes, drivers and what not. system restore.

My reverting back would have to be a Clean install but I am unsure if I revert back that it would change the BIOS back. As soon as the upgrade and clean install was complete I did the driver update with the Dell Auto Detect software. I haven't down an image backup because of this problem and if I'm upgrading to Professional then I would just do another clean install. I've only had the W10 for a few weeks. I do have the W8.1 Image Backup.

(06-24-2016, 11:08 PM)Compton Wrote:  ok you should still run the scan I am a bit lose  MB and SAS?

MB = MalwareBytes ------ SAS = SuperAntiSpyware

Here are the logs
.txt   MBLog.txt (Size: 1.15 KB / Downloads: 4)
.txt   SASLog.txt (Size: 815 bytes / Downloads: 7)

A clean install can be done in a half hour. Trouble shooting can take awhile. If it were me I would fresh install. The bios they say will not change.
WannaBeGeek

I would not say the system is clean SUPERAntiSpyware found PUP.OpenCandy/Variant on your system

Malwarebytes

Registry Keys: 1
PUP.Optional.DriverAgentPlus, HKU\S-1-5-21-1314100723-2270364307-2892920092-1001\SOFTWARE\ESUPPORT.COM\DriverAgent, , [7054e21eeeacec4aecd14daf8c77e61a],

(06-25-2016, 12:47 AM)Compton Wrote:  I would not say the system is clean SUPERAntiSpyware found PUP.OpenCandy/Variant on your system

Malwarebytes

Registry Keys: 1
PUP.Optional.DriverAgentPlus, HKU\S-1-5-21-1314100723-2270364307-2892920092-1001\SOFTWARE\ESUPPORT.COM\DriverAgent, , [7054e21eeeacec4aecd14daf8c77e61a],

Yeah that was from Freemake Video Converter AVG warns that there is OpenCandy I removed it but I guess AVG didn't do a good enough job.

Here is a article on updating the bios.https://www.pcworld.com/article/258308/should_i_update_my_bios_.html
WannaBeGeek