Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
xp restart loop
Good Day everyone,

I have an xp machine with data that did not get backed up properly. I have a new win7 machine to move it to but the xp computer just recently started looping at the start. It gets to the load windows and the last known configuration etc. window and whatever i chose, it starts then shuts off and reboots. I tried safe mode and it gets to a certain load then stops and reboots. I have ran the diagnostics on the hard drive and everything comes out fine. I have tried the UBUDisk and it cant find the c drive but can check registry items etc.

I really need the info on this computer if it is at all possible to retrieve.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

its sounds like a malware problem do the windows xp machine go online?
I would run Kaspersky Rescue Disk

if you would like to get the data just boot a Linux distro plugin a external storage you would be able to access the C drive

Or you can access the c drive using Kaspersky rescue cd! Depending on how much data you have, like Compton said use external storage i.e external hard drive. Here are a couple of links on amazon, to buy them if you don't have one already!

Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=external+hard+drive
Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_5?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=external+hard+drive&sprefix=exter%2Caps%2C202

If you still want to use the computer, like Compton said run Kaspersky Rescue disk. Once you have booted from Kaspersky rescue disk, connect your computer to an ethernet cable, the cable from your router to the back of the PC, update the database and run a full scan and if it finds anything malicious, click on the recommended option to deal with the threats i.e quarantine.

Hope this helps

REC560

Thanks for the help!

I have booted with Kaspersky and it will not load. errors everytime. Tried it on a different machine and it is fine. I am using eset right now but it is pausing at 20%. With eset at least I can see and pull the data using their interface.

I have an enclosure and tried it on another computer. It will only access the recovery partition and not the H partition as it named it.. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Mike

take hard drive out windows xp machine put into a hard drive docking station or  enclosure
take it to a working computer check to see if can you get any data off check the hard drive  health

how to check your hard drive health status with crystal disk info\

How to Test Your Hard Drive Using SeaTools for Windows

Try resetting the memory. Take the memory out clean the connectors with a dollar bill and put the memory back in. Make sure you push firmly.
WannaBeGeek

clean connectors with what a dollar bill that first time hearing that one in all my years of IT
I am not sure abouti that one you might do more harm then good

(09-13-2016, 12:34 AM)Compton Wrote:  clean connectors with what a dollar bill that first time hearing that one in all my years of IT
I am not sure abouti It that one you might do more harm then good
LOL Compton it works.
WannaBeGeek

ok how do you clean the memory rub i or marinade

(09-13-2016, 12:53 AM)Compton Wrote:  ok how do you clean the memory  rub or marinade

Compton I once told you, you crack me up. And you do LOL Big Grin
WannaBeGeek