Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Threading and Hyper Threading
Hey guys,

So I am no way near the stage of using threads but I know what they are and how they can be used. But my question is when should I use hyper threading and when should I use normal threading? Is their a big difference?

Thanks for all the help,
Dan.

Threading is what you will use when programming. Hyper-threading is the technology that Intel has on its processors.
JM IT Services
Mobile PC & Laptop Repair
www.jmitservices.co.uk
We also provide remote support.

Hello Dan,
As JIMITServices mentioned, Intel offers hyperthreading. Hyperthreading should always be turned on by default on your CPU. While it doubles your logical cores on your machine, its impact could be up to 30% improvement in terms of performance.

When should you turn your hyperthreading off? There are two times where you may want to turn them off:
1) If an application you install on your machine that asks you to turn hyperthreading off because it is not compatible or could interfere with the application or its performance. There are very very few apps that way, some of these apps are really big such as MS SQL.

2) Some software licensing goes based on your "logical cores", so if you are licensed for 2 cores and your CPU has two cores in it, you should not turn on hyperthreading as in that case you are violating the license agreement as your logical cores in that case becomes 4. Usually applications (software) that are CPU intensive and expensive adopt this type of licensing especially lately as number of cores jumped from 4 to 16 in the last few years.

Hope these answered your questions.