Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 Professional transfer
Hi guys.

I have been given a used computer which has windows 10 home installed. This machine was a windows 7 installation which received the free windows 10 upgrade. (I'll refer as Computer A)

My old machine was also also a windows 7 installation, but pro. So I got upgraded to Windows 10 pro. (I'll refer as Computer B) both computers have different specs and are different makes.

Computer A is a newer more powerful PC than computer B.

On computer B I have my windows professional on an SSD Drive which I've also got backed up with Acronis true image 2016.

Here's what I'm planning:

I want to run Acronis true image's 'acronis dissimilar hardware' restore to the new machine. Although I know there are still potential compatibility risks etc my objective is to restore my windows pro backup onto computer B then do a fresh install of windows 10 pro afterwards.

Would this work? Or will Microsoft realise that computer B should be home version and not activate? I have the relevant genuine keys prior to free upgrade.
Remember! You should exercise complete CTRL and you ALT to think carefully before you DELete stuff willy nilly.

In theory Micro$oft will see a different hardware hash for that license and you will not be able to activate. This being said it will not hurt anything to give it a try. Just be sure there is no way to lose important data of course.
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

(09-21-2016, 03:54 PM)Timster Wrote:  In theory Micro$oft will see a different hardware hash for that license and you will not be able to activate. This being said it will not hurt anything to give it a try. Just be sure there is no way to lose important data of course.

Thanks Timster.

Gonna give it a go tonight and I'll report back with my findings so that someone else may benefit in the future.
Remember! You should exercise complete CTRL and you ALT to think carefully before you DELete stuff willy nilly.