Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White screen while logging on to windows
Question 
When i get to the login screen and log in to my account, and it shows a white screen for 10 seconds once the account has fully logged in.

I am using a Windows 7 (64 bit) Dell machine that's about 2-3 years old. I haven't made any changes to the computer recently.
This still happens even if i boot into safe mode, and There's nothing on the screen or in event logs.
It's been happening for a while, and I'm wondering if I can fix it without restoring my system.

Some on the things I have tried:
MSCONFIG: Only enabling microsoft ones
Malwarebytes: full scan - nothing found
System File Checker: found/rebooted, still occurs.
Temp files: Cleared, still occurs when logging on.
Appdata: Nothing suspicious in roaming or local folders.

Perform SFC scan

Click 'Start' > Type cmd in the search field > Right-click the command prompt at the top of the list and select 'Run as Administrator'
Inside the command prompt, type sfc /scannow > Press 'Enter'
4. Reboot and test.

Is your Windows up-to-date, and what did the system file checker say?

(01-13-2017, 08:04 PM)Partha Wrote:  Is your Windows up-to-date, and what did the system file checker say?

Yes, it is up to date, and the system file checker says:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Defails are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.

Restarted after that did not solve the problem. I do not have access right now to the computer to attach the logs, but I will attach them whenever it is possible for me to do so (within a few days).

OK, please run cmd as an administrator and copy and paste the following commands:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

(01-13-2017, 08:45 PM)SmilerRyan Wrote:  Yes, it is up to date, and the system file checker says:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Defails are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.

Restarted after that did not solve the problem. I do not have access right now to the computer to attach the logs, but I will attach them whenever it is possible for me to do so (within a few days).

I see. For now, please run the command Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth in an elevated command prompt as RECdevicehelper advised

It could take a while for the process to finish, and so be patient. Next, run the sfc /scannow again and see if it finds any corruptions

Those Dism commands don't work in Win 7.

As Compton suggests we need system diagnostics: https://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

(01-14-2017, 03:19 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  Those Dism commands don't work in Win 7.

As Compton suggests we need system diagnostics: https://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

It's my bad. Thanks for the clarification

(01-14-2017, 03:19 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  Those Dism commands don't work in Win 7.

Thanks for letting me know, forgot that it doesn't work with windows 7. I worked with too many Operating Systems! Big Grin

(01-14-2017, 06:05 PM)RECdevicehelper Wrote:  

Thanks for letting me know, forgot that it doesn't work with windows 7. I worked with too many Operating Systems! Big Grin
Well, to be precise, some of the dism commands do work but not that one