Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
root terminal does not launch from console (Debian Jessie)
Good Morning:

I was wondering if anyone would know how to fix a root terminal that refuses to start when you choose it from the applications>System Tools menu?  What happens is that root terminal will launch the very first time the system boots up and you select root terminal, but if you close it out and start it again, all it does is sit and the circle spins, and then stops.......it will not launch.

I CAN run a Terminal and then sudo -i over to root if I need to, but this is strange........is there a fix for this??

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

Brian
Brian S. Baker
Linux Enthusiast /Computer Consultant At Large/ "The Wizkid"
System Admin: buddy-baker.us
buddy-baker.us

what distro are you running

(02-14-2017, 02:12 PM)Compton Wrote:  what distro are  you running

Debian Jessie: 8.3 (I think)

brian@cardinal:~$ uname -a
Linux cardinal 3.16.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.16.39-1 (2016-12-30) i686 GNU
brian@cardinal:~$

brian :0 08:45 ?xdm? 34:34 0.16s gnome-sessio
Brian S. Baker
buddy-baker.us

well gnome is knowing for have a lot bugs that you download least version of Debian Jessie

(02-14-2017, 11:11 PM)Compton Wrote:  well gnome is knowing for have a lot bugs that you download least version of  Debian Jessie
Compton:

I have had LOTS of trouble with desktops lately - I am not sure if there is a way to get a desktop that has all the functions I need to be able to manage the Server. I was able to get the information you requested

Quote:root@cardinal:~# cat /etc/debian_version
root@cardinal:~#

I am not sure if you are asking for more info - but I believe that you are asking for my Debian Version.

Have a Great Day!

Brian
Brian S. Baker
buddy-baker.us

There could actually be a number of reasons for this that's hard to pin down.

The best bet would be to report it to the Debian community as it's not the first time it's happened on Linux distros. They may have an answer or at the very least create a workaround to be included in the updates.

UPDATE:

It does not matter what desktop I use - I have tested all of them, and root terminal will ONLY launch once, and after the server machine resets - Where do I report the problem about this bug??

Brian
Brian S. Baker
buddy-baker.us

To the Debian community, they may have an answer for you and will understand the issue better.