Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does utilizentcaching do?
I was doing my daily research and found a registry hey located in service's/lanman workstation/parameters]
UtilizeNtCaching well i researched it and its something to do with file caching but i cant find anything about what files it caches but i doubt it improves performance but if it caches more of my files i usually have 6gigs of ram free with a tops of 2gigs cached.

So does anyone know any information about this setting?

I think it just caches general files to the / a server for flushing.

Flushing the cache is basically deleting it right? And how is utilizentcaching different from largesystemcache?

(02-23-2017, 09:18 AM)smirk24 Wrote:  Flushing the cache is basically deleting it right? And how is utilizentcaching different from largesystemcache?

Pretty much and largesystemcaching if enabled allocates free memory not being used by apps etc, to disk caching. How they differ exactly is probably small but still a difference is there. A bit like the difference between using chkdsk /f or using chkdsk /r both do a similar job but with their own subtle differences.

LargeSystemCache just uses the memory not being used? I thought it uses all the memory except 4 to 8mb of ram.

(02-23-2017, 09:00 PM)smirk24 Wrote:  LargeSystemCache just uses the memory not being used? I thought it uses all the memory except 4 to 8mb of ram.

Depends. By default it will use all Free memory but it can be set (if using a small cache) to set aside a small amount of memory for speed of apps etc.

Is there just the 0 and 1 value for LargeSystemCache?

As far as I'm aware yes. 0 = small cache and 1 = large.

Oh okay thank you guilty spark we can close the thread Smile