Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Need to Format the Disk in Drive on an formatted flash drive

I can't open my flash drive... Im getting this error message in opening my flash drive that i need to format it before i can use it. it s already formatted and has important files in it. i can't format it because i have important data in that flash drive that will be lost if i format it..... any fix to this?

First, see if the issue occurs if you connect the drive to any other USB port or on another system

If the issue persists, run a chkdsk /r on the drive. In your case, it would be chkdsk e: /r

(02-27-2017, 11:49 AM)Partha Wrote:  First, see if the issue occurs if you connect the drive to any other USB port or on another system

If the issue persists, run a chkdsk /r on the drive. In your case, it would be chkdsk e: /r

I already try it it says "The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives."

I would boot up a Linux operating system plugin the flash drive to see if you can get data off of it

(02-27-2017, 11:58 AM)Compton Wrote:  I would boot up a Linux operating system plugin the flash drive to see if you can get data off of it
Like Ubuntu?

yes

(02-27-2017, 11:58 AM)Compton Wrote:  I would boot up a Linux operating system plugin the flash drive to see if you can get data off of it

I try to my Ubuntu on an Vmware virtual machine. It does not read that flash drive but my other flash drive seams to be recognize by Ubuntu

I just came across this software called M3 Data Recovery  that could repair issues like that. It might be worth giving that a try

https://www.m3datarecovery.com/raw-to-ntfs/chkdsk-not-available-for-raw-drives.html

ok try booting up Ubuntu on real hardware then plugin flash drive

using a VM might create problems