Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
windows 10 - system restore & gamepad issues.
Hi guys,

Well I found this app online and it allows playstation to be beamed on to the PC. But it said we could only use a ps4 controller. Previously to this I have used an xbox one controller and its worked well with every game I've had.. games have even self configured themselves, especially steam games.

But since I unplugged that ps4 controller and went back to my xboxone controller for steam games it now doesnt seem to recognise fully the gamepad. I recognises the left stick and some of the trigger buttons, and the x,y,a,b buttons, but not the right stick or the directional buttons. I had wondered whether is thinks its a different kind of controller?

Anyways I got the idea to do a system restore. I had made a system restore point just before I installed the PS4 remote play program. But when i use the system restore point, or other ones I get this message:

System Restore failed while restoring the directory from the restore point.
Source: AppxStaging
Destination: %ProgramFiles%WindowsApps
An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070091)

In the short term I'd love to fix the gamepad issue. But that restore failed message is worrying. Anyone any ideas of what could be happening?

Thanks.

Attached Files
.jpg   failed system restore.JPG (Size: 37.1 KB / Downloads: 484)

Hi Bowdon UK,

Thanks for contacting Britec Tech Support Forum!!!

Firstly, please can you post your system specs so we know what kind of system you are running.

Second of all, I understand from your description that your Xbox One Controller GamePad is not working after plugging in your PS3 Controller and the system restore point is not working. Before we begin working on resolving the issue, I would like to ask you a few questions:
  • Does this issue happen on all of your steam games?
  • Have you tried to reconfigure the controller inside the game manually?
  • What main games do you use your XBOX Controller for?
  • Have you tried the XBOX Controller on another machine? If so does the issue happen on it as well?
  • Have you tried any other troubleshooting techniques besides System Restore?
  • Have you tried to uninstall PS4 remote play program and reinstall it?
  • Have you used system restore before besides fixing this issue? If so, have you had an issue with it before?

Please let us know the answers in your next reply!

Kind Regards

RECdevicehelper

Hi RECdevicehelper,

My PC Specs;

OS: Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1607 (build 14393.693)
AV: Avast newest version.
Board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS VIII GENE Rev 1
RAM: 16GB
Drives: SSD (250GB) main drive, and a HDD (3TB) storage drive.
Graphics cards: 2x Geforce 1070 Nvidia cards

Is there anything I've missed out that you want to know?
---

When I first plugged in the Xbox One controller on steam when I first installed steam on this computer ages ago, it set everything up automatically, which was a suprise to me.

Everything worked well until today when I noticed someone posted about the PS4 Remote Play program. So I tried to get that working (steam wasn't running). That program worked good. I was nervous of using the PS4 controller on the computer but it seems other people do it these days. So after I tried that experiment I stopped the PS4 program and and unplugged the ps4 controller. Then I thought I better check that its not done anything to my Xbox One controller support with Steam. So I plugged in the Xbox One controller and loaded up steam. Immediately it acted like it detected a new device, even though I only had in the Xbox One controller.. and suddenly all the setup it had done automatically didnt work anymore.

I managed to use a profile someone had made for gta 5 and that worked. But I also used it for euro truck simulator 2, and even though its still set as keyboard and 360 gamepad, like it was before, suddenly the left joystick didnt work, and none of the buttons are key binded to what they were before.

There is nothing wrong with the controller as I did get it working again using the communities profile for the gta game.

As for the system restore. I tried the restore twice. I had purposely set a restore point before i installed the ps4 remote play. I was going to go back to that restore point to fix the steam situation.

I have used system restore before and it worked. But now it won't let me. Looking online I've noticed quite a few people with it. I'll post a thread here, but its 16 pages long. I was wondering if you knew a quicker and better explanation that how they went around the houses! lol. https://www.tenforums.com/backup-restore/68600-system-restore-fails-appxstaging-programfiles-windowsapp-0x80070091.html

Tomorrow I'm going to deactivate the self defense part in avast as I've read that can interfere with system restoring, at least in older versions.

Thanks for any help you can suggest.

PS. I'm thinking of buying a steam controller so that should fix the steam issues as it seems people have a lot of profiles for all kinds of games on that. But the system restore is annoying because I purposely made a restore point for in case I got problems and it hasnt worked.

Thanks for the reply, Bowdon UK

So it seems you have resolved your touch pad issue on GTA 5 using a custom profile created by another person. But for the Euro Truck Simulator 2 game it seems the touch pad still doesn't function properly. After doing some research, Dr. Feelgood has found a solution for Euro Truck Simulator 2 on the steam forum, have a look at the following link and follow his instructions.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/227300/discussions/0/626329820645747772/

Once you have done this, test the touch pad and the program and let us know the results! If this hasn't solved, we will start to work on system restore. If this has solved your issue, we will still work on system restore anyway, since it is important to have a fully functional system restore.

Kind regards

RECdevicehelper

Hi RECdevicehelper,

I tried that stuff.. resetting the controls. There is the joy missing thing that he mentions. I suspect its something to do with Steam itself as the problem happened on all steam games. I don't have any non-steam games that require a gamepad to test if outside steam works. I'm not sure why when I started up steam it was thinking it was a new controller connected when it was my XboxOne controller like always. I'm not sure how steam had it setup so it worked before. It's kinda odd that steam as messed up by something that I did when steam wasnt running.

The system restore issue seems to be broken by a windows update. Have a look here; https://borncity.com/win/2017/03/02/windows-10-update-kb3213986-kills-system-restore/ - Microsoft’s cumulative January 2017 update KB3213986 seems to cause a serious issue in Windows 10 Anniversary Update. After installing this update, system restore fails with error 0x80070091.

There are work arounds for it. But I'm wondering if MS will fix it?

Perform SFC scan

Click 'Start' > Type cmd in the search field > Right-click the command prompt at the top of the list and select 'Run as Administrator'
Inside the command prompt, type sfc /scannow > Press 'Enter'
4. Reboot and test.

I just tried the scannow and no problems were found.

I rebooted then attempted a system restore, same issue.

On the Steam part of my question. I noticed that Steam is no longer showing the fps counter when in games. I had set it to show and it did work. Now the option is still selected but no fps counter. Is there anyway to install Steam over the top of itself in order to do a repair? or does steam have a repair program?

I don't want to rock the boat too much while this system restore doesnt work.

Edit: the fps counter appears again if I dont use the big controller view steam as.. odd.

Ok, I've found an interesting post on steam about gamepad problems.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/353370/discussions/0/371918937259244490/?l=italian

In the post he says about getting windows to re-discover the gamepad controllers, and that windows lists them as HID-compliant consumer control device in device manager. He said;

Quote:Alright guys, I finally found out how to fix it.

It seems that no matter what version of windows you are running, the Steam Controller will always be recognized as an HID (Human Interface Device) as a Mouse and keyboard. This means that the game will take priority of the HID Driver rather than the xinput driver (The code wrapper for Xbox controllers and other wireless joypads) There is an easy way to circumnavigate this problem.

On windows, you can go into the system settings and navigate to whats called "The Device Manager". This is a place where you can view the installed drivers for Chip sets, Graphics Cards and Peripherals.

Opening the Device Manager, you will see several expandable categories.

Step 1. Expand the 'Human Interface Devices' category.

Step 2. Right click and uninstall all devices with the Prefix "HID" (These are your Steam Controllers acting like Keyboards)

Step 3. Unplug and replug the USB dongles for your steam controllers on the host computer.

Step 4. Make sure Steam in Big Picture mode recognizes the Controllers, and register them to the account you will be playing on.

Step 5. You're done.

I have to say that this is the most unexpected fix that I could find for my problems, and I am now pleased with the Steam Link/Controller experience I have had thus far, but still hold disappointment for Valve for launching a product whose issues require such convoluted solutions.

Please let me know if this has worked for any of you. Thank you.

My device manage looks like the picture attached. Shall I delete the 2 HID-compliant consumer control devices and the HID-compliant system controller? Will this let windows 10 re-discover the controllers? I want to check with you guys first because im more nervous than usual with no safety net.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ok before we start dealing with device manager, please reinstall steam! You can reinstall over the top of steam. But it so recommended to uninstall it first and then reinstall it. So please can back up any games, uninstall it and reinstall it.