Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In-place repair
hello, i have win7 dual booted with XP[ on a second HDD] using Hirens boot software [as seen on britec] and i'd like to know the best way to do an in-place win7 "repair" without losing any programs or files. i have the original disc and key, and the disc id home premium 64 bit, but does not say SP1. i still am using the computer but its getting slow and i get the odd error once in a while.
thanks, tom

you can do a repair install I would backup your important data first  

(04-12-2017, 12:20 PM)Compton Wrote:  you can do a repair install I would backup your important data first  

what i am wondering about is the dual boot. should i disconnect the XP HDD? and leave hirens BCD as is?
thanks for the help, tom

just to confirm windows 7 and xp is on the same hard drive?

(04-17-2017, 01:03 PM)TeeMark Wrote:  
(04-12-2017, 12:20 PM)Compton Wrote:  you can do a repair install I would backup your important data first  

what i am wondering about is the dual boot. should i disconnect the XP HDD? and leave hirens BCD as is?  
thanks for the help, tom

NO.. the xp is on a diff HDD win 7 on C drive hhd, ty

ok then you should have no problem I would un plug the xp hard drive just in case

(04-19-2017, 11:53 PM)TeeMark Wrote:  
(04-17-2017, 01:03 PM)TeeMark Wrote:  

thanks for the help, tom

NO.. the xp is on a diff HDD  win 7 on C drive hhd, ty
thanks

(04-12-2017, 12:04 PM)TeeMark Wrote:  hello, i have win7 dual booted with XP[ on a second HDD] using Hirens boot software [as seen on britec] and i'd like to know the best way to do an in-place win7 "repair" without losing any programs or files. i have the original disc and key, and the disc id home premium 64 bit, but does not say SP1. i still am using the computer but its getting slow and i get the odd error once in a while.
thanks, tom

Have a look here too: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html (I found it very helpful when I did an inplace repair)