Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows shows only 4GB of RAM, but I have 8
So I recently got a clean copy of 64 bit Windows, and I saw it hade only 4GB of RAM, so I did the ''take space out of your C:\ drive disk'' trick and set it to 8GB,
If I go to This PC\Properties, it shows only 4GB of RAM, but when I can allocate the amount of RAM myself [like on Minecraft] I can allow more then 4GB of RAM, but games that do that themselves, can only see 4GB of RAM. Sometimes I mess a bit with my BIOS and it shows 8GB of RAM, but after a restart, it says 4GB of RAM,

any help?

Hi DiegoPCFan,

First of all, please backup any important data before we start troubleshooting.

Second of all, please post your system specs in order for us to better assist you using the links provided:
https://briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=665
https://briteccomputers.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=2804

Thirdly, please could you tell us what you have tried to resolve the issue already? Just so we don't give solutions that you have already tried.

Kind regards

RECdevicehelper

Specs are

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM: 4,00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. B85M-G (SOCKET 1150)
Graphics: ASUS VH242 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Storage: 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZRX-00A3KB0 (SATA)
Optical drives: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB
Audio:Realtek High Definition Audio

I already made backups of my regedit and a system restore point, so thats that

and last: I already tried lowering the amount of RAM that Windows could use to 7 or 6, but that didn't work, sometimes it works when I change something in the BIOS, but that it only for 1 session, after I restart the PC, it says 4GB again

I don't get it. If you have 4 gigs of RAM, how can you expect it to be identified as 8 gigs

I would also like you to elaborate on the trick that you were talking about please

(05-04-2017, 07:34 AM)Partha Wrote:  I don't get it. If you have 4 gigs of RAM, how can you expect it to be identified as 8 gigs

I would also like you to elaborate on the trick that you were talking about please
Yeah Partha, that doesn't make sense either. I am curious about the trick too.

(05-04-2017, 07:34 AM)Partha Wrote:  I don't get it. If you have 4 gigs of RAM, how can you expect it to be identified as 8 gigs

This PC\Properties\Advanced system settings\Advanced\Performance\Advanced\Virtual memory\Custom and then 8GB of RAM

are you talking about hard drive space and not memory DiegoPCFan?

I think you're getting confused with Virtual RAM and Physical RAM.

You can increase / decrease Virtual RAM to pretty much any theoretical limit (kind of) but as Partha points out, when it comes to Physical RAM 4GB is 4GB.

(05-04-2017, 10:55 AM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  I think you're getting confused with Virtual RAM and Physical RAM.

You can increase / decrease Virtual RAM to pretty much any theoretical limit (kind of) but as Partha points out, when it comes to Physical RAM 4GB is 4GB.

and then im happy those kind of forums exist, thanks
But 1 more question, sometimes it says 8 gigs of RAM when I changed something in my BIOS, still confused about that

what setting that you change in the bios