Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My desktop computer won't boot up.
(07-13-2017, 10:13 PM)Timster Wrote:  
(07-13-2017, 10:01 PM)BigJerr Wrote:  
(07-13-2017, 09:58 PM)Timster Wrote:  The concern here for me is that it is a brand new computer that just arrived. Do not do anything that will void your warranty. Some manufacturers place tamper stickers on the side door and if that sticker is broken your warranty is void. I would only take your trouble shooting so far if the computer is under warranty.

Actually the computer is a few years old.

Ah good just making sure.

I just reset the RAM. Still doesn't work.

when you turn on the computer do the power supply Fan spin or cpu fan?
do you have a working power supply to test or a power supply tester

are you using a video card or onboard video?

(07-13-2017, 10:35 PM)Compton Wrote:  when you turn on the computer do the power supply Fan spin or cpu fan?
do you have a working power supply to test or a power supply tester

are you using a video card or onboard video?

I think it's an onboard card. I just tried Hiren's CD it still couldn't boot.

(07-13-2017, 06:53 PM)BigJerr Wrote:  when attempting to start it the boot only went so far - a few seconds - then stopped.  

What exactly do you mean by this?

Did the computer post? In other words did it show the manufacturer splash screen?

What exactly is showing on the screen after you power the computer on?
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

(07-14-2017, 02:39 AM)Timster Wrote:  
(07-13-2017, 06:53 PM)BigJerr Wrote:  when attempting to start it the boot only went so far - a few seconds - then stopped.  

What exactly do you mean by this?

Did the computer post? In other words did it show the manufacturer splash screen?

What exactly is showing on the screen after you power the computer on?

Just a black screen. The green light goes on, the red light flickers a couple of times but that's it. I've tried to make a HBCD but for some reason it won't work; I might have not copied all the files over to the DVD. The display says 'VGA'no Signal' or something. And that's it. I have hooked up all the connections, reset the RAM, but nothing works.

Let me see if the HBCD works on this laptop.

Is your VGA cable correctly mounted?

Check the pins aren't bent or broken.

Is the VGA cable working to begin with? Can you test with another.

(07-14-2017, 03:00 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  Is your VGA cable correctly mounted?

Check the pins aren't bent or broken.

Is the VGA cable working to begin with? Can you test with another.

Yes.  I have checked them and rechecked them.  However have not been able to hook them up to any other system.  I dig attempt to hook it up to this laptop but nothing worked.  Just went to the PTs regular display.

BYW, how do I get into the BIOS of the LT?  I've tried F8  , F4, F5, F7, mainly without the Shift key.  Just trying to set it to boot from the DVD/CD player.

Did you want me to send you a photo or two of what's inside?

What's PTs regular display? I would like you to take pictures of both the ends of the VGA cable up-close so that all the pins are clearly visible, and upload them

On a laptop you usually have a Function icon on one of the F keys sometimes F4 sometimes F12, but you need to hold down the Function (Fn) key when pressing the correct key.

The Function icon should look either like a square box with a vertical line either side

or

a laptop with a monitor screen next to it.

What brand of LT is it?
Example; Samsung R510

(07-14-2017, 03:56 PM)Partha Wrote:  What's PTs regular display? I would like you to take pictures of both the ends of the VGA cable up-close so that all the pins are clearly visible, and upload them

Laptop regular display. :T model X540L

Sorry it took me so long to respond but for some reason I can't seem to move the photos from my phone to my LT. However all the connectors look perfect.

(07-14-2017, 03:57 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  On a laptop you usually have a Function icon on one of the F keys sometimes F4 sometimes F12, but you need to hold down the Function (Fn) key when pressing the correct key.

The Function icon should look either like a square box with a vertical line either side

or

a laptop with a monitor screen next to it.

What brand of LT is it?
Example; Samsung R510

Didn't know that. I see the "f" key.
ASUS Sonic Master w/ Intel Core I3.