[Image: asus-f501-keyboard-key-replacement.png?t=1424311692]

Fn key 2nd button from bottom left.

F8 I think is your display switcher.

(07-14-2017, 05:11 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  If this is your keyboard layout

[Image: asus-f501-keyboard-key-replacement.png?t=1424311692]

Fn key 2nd button from bottom left.

F8 I think is your display switcher.

Yes. That' mine on the LT.

So what about the Display switcher? f-F8?

When you've connected the VGA cables, power on the laptop and monitor and hold the Fn (function)key and F8 it should switch display from LT to Monitor.

(07-14-2017, 06:07 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  When you've connected the VGA cables, power on the laptop and monitor and hold the Fn (function)key and F8 it should switch display from LT to Monitor.

Just to make sure should I hold down F8 or should I tap it. (BTW, it used to be tap.)

You hold down the Function key and tap F8.

You may have to wait for the POST screen to pass first but not always.

(07-14-2017, 06:51 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  You hold down the Function key and tap F8.

You may have to wait for the POST screen to pass first but not always.

Thanks. I can see my desktop on the network but cannot get into the system and access it's files. I turned off Remote Desk Top (RDT) since it could be a security risk or something. Also upon booting the LT with everything connected it goes to my desktop.

When you're at the desktop with everything attached and monitor powered on hold Function and press F8 it's a simple process.

(07-14-2017, 08:14 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  When you're at the desktop with everything attached and monitor powered on hold Function and press F8 it's a simple process.

I've done that too. Hold on.

BigJerr, have you checked the inside of the case on the motherboard for any black burn marks,leaking capacitors,any loose hardware, anything thats held together with screws. When you smell the motherboard is there a burn smell?

The thing ive noticed when getting a used computer is the hardware components not fully connected.

(07-15-2017, 05:43 AM)smirk24 Wrote:  BigJerr, have you checked the inside of the case on the motherboard for any black burn marks,leaking capacitors,any loose hardware, anything thats held together with screws. When you smell the motherboard is there a burn smell?

The thing ive noticed when getting a used computer is the hardware components not fully connected.

No burning smell or leakage. Thanks though.

(07-14-2017, 09:22 PM)BigJerr Wrote:  
(07-14-2017, 08:14 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  When you're at the desktop with everything attached and monitor powered on hold Function and press F8 it's a simple process.

I've done that too. Hold on.

Still can't get it.