Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Copy files from one Pen Drive to Another/ Windows 10 don't like it
Good Morning Everyone:

I have a strange situation that keeps occurring:

I used to be able to copy files by doing a Select All, then doing a Right click, and then choosing "Copy" on One Pen Drive [I call them Sticks] to another Pen Drive. I would select the files I wanted, and then select copy from drive M: to Drive N (New Pen Drive[ then it should allow me to "paste" the files on an empty, formatted (FAT32) drive.

However, I get either a "Are you sure you want to open all these files? It could take a long time" OR I get what seems to be a good copy, but then it will worry about certain file names and permissions, and stop copying, OR it will seem to copy everything, then it will show the file folder on the N: Drive and tell you that you "Need to format Drive N:" before I use it. Problem is, it was formatted FAT32, and is an 8GB Verbatim USB (Brand New) Drive.

The files I want to copy are ones I use in my job - I am the director of a thrift Store, and as such, I have files that are used EVERY DAY. The Pen Drive I have the files on now is 8 Plus years old, and I want to back up these important files - However, I am not sure what the devil windows 10 is doing now, because it seems like these dang updates are crippling Windows because there are so many new features that I would like to DISABLE, such as Smart Screen, and sometimes you HAVE to disable Windows Defender to install a program that you need.

Instead, they make it IMPOSSIBLE or nearly impossible to disable features, because it is intertwined with other features - Or they REMOVE functionality from windows and change things and say that it is better: The Laptop Has V 1503 (Anniversary Update) and because I have had trouble with Windows 10 throwing updates at my laptop and the store laptop, I have DISABLED and REMOVED the Creators Update from my machines - The first time I tried that update, it messed with my sound, and it also did the same thing to my friends laptop - I think the Creators Update is garbage, and slowed both my machines down - Also, PowerShell replaced command prompt, so it looks like I will have to relearn how to use command prompt.

I think the changes Windows 10 made on my Home PC (THRUSH) may be the reason that I cant copy files, or why I have to deep dive to turn stuff OFF to keep windows from freaking out and throwing me a "This program has been blocked (OK} with no RUN Anyway option - this would make virus removal harder because sometimes you have to use powerful programs that require programs that windows blocks.

Why does it seem I cant copy files? am I losing my Mind?

Brian B.
Brian S. Baker
Linux Enthusiast /Computer Consultant At Large/ "The Wizkid"
System Admin: buddy-baker.us
buddy-baker.us

First, perform a full format of the new usb drive and if the issue persists, perform a low-level format using the diskpart clean all command as mentioned in the article at the link below

https://www.howtogeek.com/235824/how-to-clean-a-flash-drive-sd-card-or-internal-drive-to-fix-partition-and-capacity-problems/

By the way, problem could be with the usb drive M as well.. so back up all its contents and see if a full format of the disk M helps

Perform SFC scan

Click 'Start' > Type cmd in the search field > Right-click the command prompt at the top of the list and select 'Run as Administrator'
Inside the command prompt, type sfc /scannow > Press 'Enter'
4. Reboot and test.