Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows won't start because access is denied in C:
I just messed up with permissions in c. Now I can't get into desktop not even in safe mode.. i have the BSOD telling me is error 0xc000021a. I tried using Automatic repair tools like recovery and reset to fix it but none of it could initiate the process due to some error. The only thing that seems to work fine is cmd and it starts in x: path instead of c.

( I try to access c in cmd it tells me access is denied.. I tried using takeown on c and it success but then I tried using icacls I get the same error)

I used chkdsk and says there are not bad sectors
I used sfc /scannow and it couldn't complete for some reason

I tried reinstalling windows from an usb drive but since I cannot access to the desktop I can't upgrade and keep my files..

Please help, I know it's just an issue with permissions maybe you could instruct me to get them back to normal..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=692s&v=KAHAquUaR24&app=desktop

This isnt a video about your situation but this video will show you how to run sfc /scannow using command prompt using windows boot disk.

But first instead of selecting just safe mode try selecting the command prompt option and if you get access to command prompt type in sfc /scannow

what operating system are you using?

Thnx, i couldn't run cmd from the boot disk simply because it didn't show me the option Repair your computer that should be displayed in the installation menu.
(It appeard the first time I tried it but not this time)
I'll dowload it again.
cmd accessed by troubleshooting says windows resource protection couldn't perform the requested Operation

I saw the video and I think it could be the solution if only I could access to c and copy the reg backups

I'll see tomorrow

I'm using windows 10 x64bit

Hi Anon396,

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, I would suggest you replace the registry files with the regback files.

Here is a video for you to follow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFKHWUS9g8g

Kind Regards

Rich

I think the question is did you create regback backup?

Anon396, use the operating system disk to run sfc /scanow using the instructions in the link to the video i added in a previous reply above.

If you have a restore point you can also use the instructions britec provides in the video in my previous post also.

No the video isnt the problem you are facing but i believe the registry restore and sfc /scannow instructions can help you with your problem.

Hello guys thnx for all your support
I booted my computer from the usb drive by selecting (Use a device or recovery dvd - usb drive uefi - win install repair your pc)
but i still can't access to windows safe mode. Am I doing something wrong here?
I runed cmd on (x/sources) :
chkdsk /f /r
It says Win can't run dsk chking on this volume bc is write protected..
Sfc /scannow : Win resource protection didn't found any integrity violation
Maybe it's not the right directory but like I said before I cannot access to c: wich is the first step to copy reg files
Ok.. I'll just keep trying, see ya

(10-14-2017, 12:57 AM)Anon396 Wrote:  Hello guys thnx for all your support
I booted my computer from the usb drive by selecting (Use a device or recovery dvd - usb drive uefi - win install repair your pc)
but i still can't access to windows safe mode. Am I doing something wrong here?
I runed cmd on (x/sources) :
chkdsk /f /r
It says Win can't run dsk chking on this volume bc is write protected..
Sfc /scannow : Win resource protection didn't found any integrity violation
Maybe it's not the right directory but like I said before I cannot access to c: wich is the first step to copy reg files
Ok.. I'll just keep trying, see ya

Hey Anon396,

You need to change the directory when you boot into command prompt from a repair disk or installation media...

X: is the drive letter assigned to the USB that you're booting from...

Note: "sfc /scannow" and "chkdsk /f /r" is located in the System32 folder of drive C...

Boot from your USB again and follow these steps in command prompt to get to the System32 folder on your C Drive:

1- X:\Sources>C:   <---type "C:" then hit enter
2- C:>cd Windows   <---type "cd Windows" then hit enter
3- C:\Windows>cd system32   <---type "cd system32" then hit enter
4- C:\Windows\system32> sfc /scannow   <---Now you can type "sfc /scannow" then hit enter to run the scan

If you need to, try these also:

C:\Windows\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
C:\Windows\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
L.S. Computer Systems
807 East Broadway
Hopewell, VA. 23860, USA
+1 (804) 715-8185
https://www.lscomputersystems.com

I wish it were that simple but when I type c: in command prompt it tells me Access is denied and I'm stuck there

Sorry for previous post I was tired :d
I tried
X/win/sys32 sfc/scnnw /offbootdir=c /offwindir=c/win
And I get: Win resource protection could not start the repair service

(10-13-2017, 11:55 AM)Compton Wrote:  I think the question is did you create regback backup?

Perhaps I did using ccleaner