Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
inquiry on (regback) registry backup tool)
i was just watching a britec video on backing up your registry in case of corruption or other system failure...and oh boy i had my share of resetting pc at least 3 times in one year due to my lack of technical competence. plus, at one time while downloading a seemingly innocent cloud storage program, it hijacked the pc! changed my login etc...but since then ive adapted to avoid those scenarios. but iam considering on backing up registry. ive downloaded regback. when backing up, should i save file onto flash drive? i think it would be wise. and just how large is the registry file when backed up.

(10-18-2017, 06:41 AM)PrimeDirective64 Wrote:  i was just watching a britec video on backing up your registry in case of corruption or other system failure...and oh boy i had my share of resetting pc at least 3 times in one year due to my lack of technical competence. plus, at one time while downloading a seemingly innocent cloud storage program, it hijacked the pc! changed my login etc...but since then ive adapted to avoid those scenarios. but iam considering on backing up registry. ive downloaded regback. when backing up, should i save file onto flash drive? i think it would be wise. and just how large is the registry file when backed up.

Making a backup of the registry is a great thing to do. When you decide to make a backup of your registry its usually best to do it right after a clean install or backing up a registry hive before you make changes to the section of the registry your about to configure because you can cause corruption to your system if there has been alot of changes since your backup that you created. What i like to do in situations is open up my backup of the registry and find the registry hive,key,value and make the changes manually because i know that the backup of the registry i created is going to be the default and shouldn't cause system corruption.

There's software like tweaking.com-registry backup,regback,erunt and you can also open up regedit and either under file or edit i believe theres an import and export option...the export option is how you perform a backup of the registry (i usually make sure the computer section of the registry is highlighted blue before i choose export and choose where i want the reg file to be saved.

And as for me anyway i dont like to use system restore because ive had to many issues but as for others system restore works fine. Making a clone to a separate hard drive or device of your current in use hard drive or solid state drive works way better in my opinion.

I would save one on computer and one on a flash drive

registry backup is very small

You can use the Free version of Rollback Rx and take a snapshot of your system when it's error-free, so that you can roll back to that exact state if anything goes wrong

Here is the link for Rollback RX https://rollbacksoftware.com/
WannaBeGeek

i wish i could get rollback rx mates -looks like a good program. but as a golden rule, i have denied myself from conducting any online transactions forever. unless i can get it in a free giveaway like giveawayoftheday or sharewareonsale.

It does  have a free version which can let you take up to 7 snapshots. Visit   https://horizondatasys.com/download/#rollbackhome

You will be asked to fill a form and after the form submission, the download link will be sent to your email

thx a lot for tip on rollback program! ive installed it. i restarted and saw that it took a snapshot. so now...is it running in background? and when is next time i should let it take new snapshot?

(10-19-2017, 07:51 AM)PrimeDirective64 Wrote:  thx a lot for tip on rollback program! ive installed it. i restarted and saw that it took a snapshot. so now...is it running in background? and when is next time i should let it take new snapshot?
No problems! Whenever you feel like taking a snapshot of your system, you can but be aware that you can only take up to 7 snapshots

If you like, you can disable the automatic scheduler so that it doesn't automatically take  snapshots.

cheers partha mate. here you can see ive set it save rollback 30 days. and unchecked to save automatically. iam going to submit this program on giveawayoftheday and sharewareonsale so that maybe, it will be made avaliable as a free giveaway. because as i have said previously, i dont do online transactions.  Heart