Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fall creators update
Big Grin Brian could remake a video on how to Disable Cortana in the fall creator version of win 10 home edition,
I followed your video on the anniversary edition, but it wont work properly. on my other computer which had the pro version works with gp edit as you showed.. thanks.. Tongue

(10-18-2017, 01:44 PM)dsldg2 Wrote:  Big Grin Brian could remake a video on how to Disable Cortana in the fall creator version of win 10 home edition,
I followed your video on the anniversary edition, but it wont work properly. on my other computer which had the pro version works with gp edit as you showed.. thanks.. Tongue

Cortana still shows up in task manager and still takes a little bit of resources so in a way its impossible to safely really disable cortana.

This might make some of the members hearts stop (metaphorically speaking) but in windows 10 fall creators update i left everything at default except background services running in the background(not system services but the option to turn off settings) ,startup items, and i also turned automatic updates of installed software from the microsoft store off.

Well except for prefetcher and superfetcher because i have an ssd when it comes to the registry and system services

smirk, thanks for your thoughts, before the update the search box said "search Windows"
now it says "ask cortana" not a big problem I know, cortana is cisabled as far as possiable in settings,
but still I would prefer the search box to say "setch windows like it used to.. Smile

See if the registry hack works as explained at https://www.howtogeek.com/265027/how-to-disable-cortana-in-windows-10/

P.S Processes related to Cortana would still continue to run in the background regardless

Partha, thanks for the link, I will check it out,
I have used the video Britec made, and followed the reg instructions he advised, . every thing is just as he showed
even to having a zero in the the Allowcortana Dword key . like I said this worked fine before the update.
I quess microsoft changed something.. Smile

It does look like Microsoft has integrated Cortana with the Windows Search service but with that hack, the Cortana  box should ideally disappear

If it doesn't work, we can troubleshoot that if you like

Partha, thanks for your help, I have checked out the link you sent me, but it is the same instructions that Britec gave in his video for the anniversary update,
It still works ion my other laptop which has win Pro but you have to use the GPedit way..good old microsoft, ..lol.. Smile

(10-19-2017, 11:09 AM)dsldg2 Wrote:  Partha,  thanks for your help, I have checked out the link you sent me,  but it is the same instructions that Britec gave in his video for the anniversary update,
It still works ion my other laptop which has win Pro but you have to use the GPedit way..good old microsoft, ..lol.. Smile
I know. I hope an update in the future lets the user disable Cortana completely