Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laptop hdd
Hello is it possible to use a laptop hdd in a pc, would it work as quick as a ssd

As in PC, do you mean a desktop?

If so, it will depend on the size

(10-30-2017, 10:45 PM)RichTech Wrote:  As in PC, do you mean a desktop?

If so, it will depend on the size

yes i mean desktop, my girlfriends laptop is no good but she have a hdd an windows 10 would that stay on the hdd an transfer it on to my desktop

What type of HDD is it?

Do you have the specs?

Also what is the specs of the desktop in question?

(10-30-2017, 10:48 PM)RichTech Wrote:  What type of HDD is it?

Do you have the specs?

Also what is the specs of the desktop in question?

im buiding my own desktop at the moment, not sure what the spec of the laptop hdd

It would work just fine; I don't see why it wouldn't but like Rich pointed out, the performance would depend on the disk's capabilities, especially its RPM

you can look up the model number on the Internet and see its specs or you may use CrystalDiskInfo to check the rpm and  its health status

(10-31-2017, 07:39 AM)Partha Wrote:  It would work just fine; I don't see why it wouldn't but like Rich pointed out, the performance would depend on the disk's capabilities, especially its RPM

you can look up the model number on the Internet and see its specs or you may use CrystalDiskInfo to check the rpm and  its health status
Great point, also we need to keep in mind about the motherboard, i.e does it fit and do the cables on it support it.

(10-31-2017, 07:41 AM)RichTech Wrote:  Great point, also we need to keep in mind about the motherboard, i.e does it fit and do the cables on it support it.
Exactly! Perhaps connect it to a USB port via an enclosure or get an adapter that connects it to the motherboard's SATA port

Yes I agree.

However,

Let's look at this in a different way.

He is building his own desktop.

Probably that hard drive won't last in the long run. And you have use an adapter in order to connect, which might not work.

I would suggest you buy a normal desktop HDD or even better, buy a SSD.

Also to answer the question: No, a laptop HDD will not act as a SSD. I suggest to buy one.

Hope this helps

Desktop and Laptop drives use the same SATA connection, so just like an SSD, you would only have to mount it inside the Desktop with a drive tray adaptor...But if you're building a new PC, the new case should already have drive trays made to install a Laptop Drive/SSD.

I'm also thinking that your question also has to do with Windows 10 on the Laptop drive from your girlfriends PC working on your new Desktop PC.

Yes, but...

The Microsoft Way (Recommended):
You will have to do a sysprep on the hard drive to remove the Laptop Drivers and buy another COA key to activate correctly on your newly built Desktop.

Or...
Macrium Reflect or Acronis to transfer Windows 10 to another hardware.
L.S. Computer Systems
807 East Broadway
Hopewell, VA. 23860, USA
+1 (804) 715-8185
https://www.lscomputersystems.com