Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unmountable boot volume. Can't get to c or d drive from windows 10 DVD.
Sorry. I keep hitting the wrong spot and posting the same thing again. Ok. System restore option did not work. Repair option said it couldn't repair. I next tried command prompt. DVD booted up after the system asked me to hit any key to boot from the dvd. At the x prompt to the dvd I typed c: . The error message was 'The device is not ready.'

Sorry. I keep hitting the wrong spot and posting the same thing again. Ok. System restore option did not work. Repair option said it couldn't repair. I next tried command prompt. DVD booted up after the system asked me to hit any key to boot from the dvd. At the x prompt to the dvd I typed c: . The error message was 'The device is not ready.'

Well, I didn't see that. Sorry! Are all your personal files on the C drive saved in custom folders ? By custom folders, I mean folders that you created

Yes. They are in custom folders I believe within or under user.

You don't need to be sorry. You're great. I'm the not so smart one. So why can't I get onto the hard drive? Unfortunately it is almost 3 am and I will have to wait for your answer. Being close to 70, I need to get some sleep. I don't function well on too little sleep anymore. Thank you for your help. I will check back tomorrow to see if you have any other suggestions. Once again, Thank you!

Thank you for the kind words. Well, there could be various reasons for the issue. Problem is  that if  we do a clean reinstall of Windows, the Users folder would be wiped off

I feel you should sleep now and in the meanwhile, I will do some research and reply on this thread.

Maybe the device is not properly connected or there is a problem with the port it's connected to. It could be  worth a shot  if you connect your hard drive to a different SATA port on your motherboard

Please refer to the video below for instructions; all you have to do differently is remove the SATA data cable from the port it is currently connected to and connect it to another port

Sometimes in Command Prompt the hard drive directory does not always default to C:
Try to access D: or E:
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

Partha, switching the data cable to another sata socket didn't change anything. Still unable to access C or D drive. Timster I also tried E. Same eror message "the device is not ready" for C D and E when I try to change from the x prompt.

In that same command prompt type the following commands below and press enter. This should list available drives plugged into your computer.

wmic logicaldisk get deviceid, volumename, description
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

An old Dell XPS that came in for a graphics card upgrade had the same issue with BSOD and Hard Drive Not available issues... turned out to be a bad boot drive.

Maybe pull the drive and see if the computer repair shop where you got the Windows DVD will test it for you...

Attached Files Image(s)

L.S. Computer Systems
807 East Broadway
Hopewell, VA. 23860, USA
+1 (804) 715-8185
https://www.lscomputersystems.com

Could be a bad drive like  Larry pointed out but first, let's see if  the drive shows up  with the command in Tim's post which is as follows
wmic logicaldisk get deviceid, volumename, description

ok I have few questions

you Can't  boot to windows?

when you try booting to windows are you getting any error message?

when did the problem start  after installing software or just randomly?

ok if  Unmountable boot volume is the error you are getting when trying boot

repair the master boot record