Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unmountable boot volume. Can't get to c or d drive from windows 10 DVD.
I just typed chkdsk and it found errors and I need to run it again with the F/fix option.
I entered chkdsk /f and it came back with this: " this type of file is NTFS. Cannot lock current Drive. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected."

Then I went back and used what the website technipages.com recommended to type in which was chkdsk /r C: "The type of the file system is raw. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives."
Also tried chkdsk /r. Error msg: " This type of file is NTFS. Cannot lock current Drive. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected."

I tried chkdsk on D drive w and w/o the /r. Error msg: "The type of the file system is raw. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives."
Am I doing it incorrectly?

When I just typed in CHKDSK at the X:\Sources was it checking the DVD disk. Because it said: "Windows has checked the file system and found problems. Run check disk with the /F (fix) option to correct these.
3086 KB total disk space.
4 KB in 9 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
2485 KB in use by the system.
2048 KB occupied by the log file.
587 KB available on disk.

512 bytes in each allocation unit.
6173 total allocation units on disc.
1195 allocation units available on disk.
Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.
So if this is the DVD windows fall creator disk that I did the chkdsk on, is it bad? Or what was I checking?

(11-10-2017, 03:11 PM)Herbal meds Wrote:  After entering the command:
X:\wmic logicaldisk get deviceid, volumename, description, results are:
Description Device ID Volume Name
Local Fixed Disk C:
Local Fixed Disk D:
Local Fixed Disk E:
Local Fixed Disk F:
Removable Disk G:
Removable Disk H:
Removable Disk I:
Removable Disk J:
CD-ROM Disk K: ESD-ISO
Local Fixed Disk X:
Computer was set up with C drive with D as the partition for Windows files. I sometimes used a Toshiba external drive with a USB connection that was listed as the F Drive . It's not currently connected. I am a total novice so taking this one step at a time it's good. Worried I might make things worse if possible. Thanks

X is not the CD letter its K as you can see there

now you have the X letter which is a local fix disk

now what I am thinking here X is the windows drive what doI would restart the system

check to see if problem fix

Thanks Compton. I'm glad I typed all that information out from the screen. I'm using my phone and it's difficult to follow all that has been typed in. I didn't catch the k oh, I was too busy typing. Now running check disk on K and it's working. I assume it's going to take a while. Will let you know thank you.

Correcting errors in the unallocated space descriptor in the volume descriptor sequence
Correcting errors in the volume descriptor sequence
Cannot fix volume descriptor sequence
Windows found problems with the file system that could not be corrected

So is there any way to at least get my data off. Or is this a lost cause. Would it be possible to take this drive and look at it, if it was hooked up as a USB drive using a sata to USB connector using another computer running Windows

Thanks everyone for all your help. I appreciate all you have done. You have been great! :- )

yes it would be possible to get data off if you take it over another computer

yes you can use sata to USB connector but that depends on if its laptop hard drive or SSD then yes it would work

if its desktop hard drive you would need something a bit more powerful like a hard docking station or you would need to put into a desktop computer

after getting the data off the hard drive I would not use the hard drive on still hard drive health is test a bit more

Compton thank you for your help!. My main goal was to get the data and pictures moved off the drive. I'm guessing from the error, there is no way to access anything on the k drive. Thanks for helping me at least try.

Herbal meds not because check disk find errors means you can't get the data

you probably can the only way you would know is to connect the hard drive to a next computer

don't give up that easy

Sorry I just looked at this and your reply wasn't there. So I posted again and then your reply popped up.
The problem hard drive is in a desktop. So if I put it in a another desktop, would I use a sata to USB connector. Is there a USB connection on the mother board. I really don't know much about this, but have learned some from you all and searching on the internet. What would be the best way. If it's put in the computer would it try to boot up or could you control that thru your boot order.

(11-11-2017, 04:57 AM)Herbal meds Wrote:  Sorry I just looked at this and your reply wasn't there. So I posted again and then your reply popped up.
The problem hard drive is in a desktop. So if  I put it in a another desktop, would I use a sata to USB connector. Is there a USB connection on the mother board. I really don't know much about this, but have learned some from you all and searching on the internet. What would be the best way.  If it's put in the computer would it try to boot up or could you control that thru your boot order.

Just woke up now. You could install the drive in an enclosure and connect it to the other motherboard's USB port as an external drive

No I really don't want to give up. I just need to know exact steps to take. But when we buy another computer, my significant other will have a cow if I go mucking about inside "his" computer. So I best get it right.
Another possible option would be to get another hard drive to put in this computer, install windows 10 and leave the current drive there to transfer files to new drive.