Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unmountable boot volume. Can't get to c or d drive from windows 10 DVD.
Okay, I'm stuck.I'm at the Windows setup screen:
"Where do you want to install Windows?"
Name. Total size. Free space. Type
Drive 0 Partition 1 100.0MB. 100.0MB. System
Drive 0 Partition 2 918.7GB. 918.7GB. Primary
Drive 0 Partition 3 100.0MB. 100.0MB. OEM (Reserved)
Drive 0 Partition 4. 11.7GB. 11.7GB. Primary
Can't install to 1.too small, at least 9395 MB. OR 3, not formatted to NTFS & is reserved by equipment manufacturer. 4 too small unless make at least 21866 MB. I don't see the option for the flash drive. Should I see it now? Should I have formatted the flash drive to NTFS?
I don't want to proceed further for fear of wiping the whole hard drive. This is beyond my understanding.

I am retyping what I thought I posted earlier. Not sure I will remember everything I typed before.
The setup screen shows at the bottom to be at 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through 1. Collecting information. Can I shut off the computer without making things worse.? I'm thinking I should have checked the BIOS to see if it recognized the flash drive. Did I need to format the flash drive to NTFS before I started this? It asked for product key and I don't have the windows 10 product key. I know what it was for 7 that was originally on the computer. Do I need to buy a new product key to install to the flash drive. If so it really sucks since Windows 10 is what destroyed the computer with the the last update. Feeling frustrated as you can tell sorry. I did not see anything Within the Windows "Where do you want to install screen" that looks like a flash drive. Thanks Partha

Yes, you can power off the device and besides, you don't need a product key to set it up. I would first like you to check if the USB ports are enabled in BIOS

Please refer to the article  at https://smallbusiness.chron.com/turn-usb-port-bios-53618.html for the steps to enable it

USB Ports were enabled. I went back into install to the "Where do you want to install Windows?" window. It's the same partition options. I didn't see the flash drive. The flash drive is 32GB. None of the partitions are close in size to the flash drive.
Underneath the box containing partition options are choices for refresh, delete, format or load driver that can be applied to the selected partition.
The first letter for available choices is underlined. To choose I assume type the letter and hit next. Setup has chosen the Partition 2, the Primary which would contain my data. Don't want to mess that up. Should I proceed without choosing any thing? Just click on Next. Thank you.

Possibly the issue could be with the USB port; please connect the flash drive to another USB port and check; also, see if the drive is detected in the BIOS

If not, connect the flash drive to the laptop's USB port, and see if it gets detected there

Moved flashdrive to a different USB Port. USB is a sandisk ultra 32GB 3.0. Started desktop computer.
Went to BIOS Advanced. USB was enabled. (No drive letter)
During startup the USB connectors were initialized.
Unfortunately, USB wasn't listed in the Windows 10 "Where do you want to install Windows?" .

Laptop:
I could not run the Windows 10
installation DVD on the Toshiba laptop as laptop is 32 bit and the installation disc is x64. So I was unable to see if it would appear in the "Where to install screen"
The laptop BIOS Advanced does not show individual USB ports on the laptop. Listed as Legacy USB support. Under boot the USB shows up in boot order. Under my computer, the USB is listed as removable disk. Too much info?

I wanted you to  check if the USB drive appeared in the BIOS setup;  all the drives that are connected to the motherboard should appear in the Boot section under hard drives

I opened up the HDD group for the hard drive. The SanDisk USB is listed under Group Boot Priority. The hard drive is 1st and the USP (SanDisk) is 2nd.

(11-15-2017, 09:31 PM)Herbal meds Wrote:  I  opened up the HDD group for the hard drive. The SanDisk USB is listed under Group Boot Priority.  The hard drive is 1st and the USP (SanDisk) is 2nd.
If I understand properly, you still don't see the USB drive on the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen which looks like this, and I assume you moved the scroll bar all the way  down

You assumed correctly. I still do not see the USB drive on the "Where do you want to install Windows?" I moved the scroll bar all the way  down. On my screen to install it only shows four drive partitions. 1 is for system 2 is for primary 3 is for OEM reserved and 4 is for primary. Currently, the 2nd partition primary drive, the total size is 918.7 GB and it says the free space is 918.7 GB. This would be where all of my data should be . The OEM (reserved) is the only partition that does not have any free space.