Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
W10 Repair - will it really keep everything ?
Excellent forum

W10 1703 (on a roll back)
Dell all in one, I7, 1tb, 16gb, Office 2016 - all was working PERFECTLY.
1.5yrs old.

All was well until 1709 came along. In the process of it's automatic upgrade it went dark for 3hrs then froze at black screen for 4 hrs.

So, I forced a repair and roll-back to 1703. Phew (I thought) back to a working PC, except, it's not quite working. Currently I have a number of issues eg:-

I have had to "hide" the 1709 update because it will not complete. It keeps freezing / trying to install, suggesting a restart etc..
SFC / Scannow will not complete
DISM - gets to 20% and will not work - in any mode
Boot up is in Reduced more (does not load normally)
When I download the ISO file to the desktop, I get blue spinning circle then nothing
2 days ago Back up stopped working (eek) - why 2 days ago - I cannot force and schedule is ignored. No error codes.
A few features within windows have stopped - eg advanced setting under backup will not open
Chrome fails to update
An Intel driver update file on the desktop, downloads but will not open
and more... (niggles)

Virus Software updates and works
Itunes update works
Most everything else.. works

Frankly, I do not really want 1709, but I do want my PC to work and update / perform back ups

My plan
Well after nearly 3 weeks of internet hunting and messing with MS Config, Reg Edit, MS tools to start and stop BITS etc... I'm no further forward.

I want to repair W10, saw the excellent YT video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldqFdcGL1X0 and have downloaded the USB version ready to load up onto my home PC, but before I attemtp this repair (nervous) need some confidence.

I'm looking for concrete re-assurance that I keep all my apps - EG:- Office 2016 and it's settings.., My Itunes library (my wife is a professional dance instructor - if I killed that, I'm a dead man). All my apps, the associations, the printer drivers.. blah blah blah... The YT video suggests this fix "keeps it all" but... (and excuse me for being thick) if it is such a great solution, why is it referenced more often ?

Bottom line
Will this fix just "fix" all the crap and leave me with (even down the desktop wallpaper) with a PC that feels like it was before the 1709 update killed me ??

Thanks buddies... I have the file waiting based on what you say next !!

Well, a lot of what you wrote is not clear! Updates are important and at some point, it would be essential to  receive the update and so it's not a matter of choice really

If would be a lot better if we look at the issues one by one; please let us know which issue   you would like  to be worked on  first

Thanks

My summary has it all - the rest of the mail (and I did read the AUP) is all about context / background

Specific question:-
If I perform a W10 repair, via USB, on my computer specifically what gets adjusted  / altered / changed / modified  - apart from the W10 files.

Will ALL my programs remain as is
Will ALL my installed APPS remain as-is
Will ALL my set up remain as-is
Will ALL the small but significant "customisations" that make the computer mine - remain as-is ?
Will ALL my various drivers, unique settings (even to the point of customisation within W10) remain as-is

The fix on offer - via the Britec YT video - sounds almost too good to be true  - so much so, that few people I have talked even know it exists. I am not a PC expert, do not wish to be but need confidence from the wise amongst you that have tried with success.

Any clearer now ?

I do not want specific fixes to each individual problem... I want them all fixed and feel the W10 repair is the only way

If you select the option "Keep personal files and apps", and run the update, all the personal files and apps should ideally  stay as is after the update

With respect to the personal customizations though, if the  customizations are made on a system level, I believe they  would be reset

Quote:files and apps should ideally  stay as is after the update

Goodness me ! Are my questions SO hard to answer ?
What part of my 2nd question do you not understand ?

"Ideally ?" - means what ?

Quote:customizations were made on a system level, I believe

Please could you explain here

Customi(z) ations ?
System Level ?
Believe ?

I'm looking for detail please.... Thanks

(11-17-2017, 08:36 PM)clubsport911 Wrote:  Goodness me ! Are my questions SO hard to answer ?

Yes, they can be difficult to answer; you need to understand that Windows will  not  always work as you’d  expect it to.

It has its own issues and updates  won’t  always be as smooth as you’d expect

(11-17-2017, 08:36 PM)clubsport911 Wrote:  "Ideally ?" - means what ?

IF the update was to take place smoothly (which would be "ideal" ) , all the personal files and apps would be in the state they were  prior to the update

(11-17-2017, 08:36 PM)clubsport911 Wrote:  Please could you explain here

Customi(z) ations ?
System Level ?
Believe ?

I referred to the customizations that are made in the system itself, like the changes made in Performance Options, or the tweaks made in the registry

I wrote I believed those changes would be reset because I don't know for sure, but like I said, the results may not be as expected at all times

(11-17-2017, 08:36 PM)clubsport911 Wrote:  I'm looking for detail please.... Thanks

If you need any further clarifications, you can contact Microsoft Support

(11-17-2017, 08:36 PM)clubsport911 Wrote:  
Quote:files and apps should ideally  stay as is after the update

Goodness me ! Are my questions SO hard to answer ?

"Ideally ?" - means what ?

Quote:customizations were made on a system level, I believe

Please could you explain here

Customi(z) ations ?
System Level ?
Believe ?

I'm looking for detail please.... Thanks

clubsport911 being rude on the forum is not the way to go let's not make a habit on the  forum

as I understand you try to install some updates and it did not go well now your windows is not working right

what you  are wanting to do is to perform a windows repair installation

but would like to know if your settings will changes

yes windows setting  will be change to default but your programs files and personal should remain the same    

that's why its important to create a system because things like this can happen

clubsport911 there is no way of knowing what changes may happen to any given specific special settings you may have done on your computer. I would suggest to just simply clone your drive that Windows is installed on so you have a way to revert back if there are any changes that you do not like after repairing Windows.
Tim's Computer Repair (TCR) 
1503 Kings Way, Savannah, GA 31406, US
912-220-0765
https://www.TimsComputerFix.net 

Patience is a virtue...

Most of the time windows 10 updates hang because users start tapping on the keyboard or cancel the update while in the process of... because they think the computer froze or they just don't have any patience. I have had computers take 4 hours to go through the process.

"Updates not only add features to Windows 10, They also patch the operating system to fix security vulnerabilities within the system. Microsoft always publishes release notes as to what any update changes... This is what Partha directed you to..."

I can only assume that this was the case since you started being so critical with Partha... He was only trying to help "Please Respect That"
L.S. Computer Systems
807 East Broadway
Hopewell, VA. 23860, USA
+1 (804) 715-8185
https://www.lscomputersystems.com