Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
closing a thread on own option
close knit friendly circle...nice touch. in the past ive noticed a lot of forums, both regular and small are shutting down and moving onto social media or about to close down to lack of activity

(11-26-2017, 04:37 PM)PrimeDirective64 Wrote:  close knit friendly circle...nice touch. in the past ive noticed a lot of forums, both regular and small are shutting down and moving onto social media or about to close down to lack of activity

Yep. Can be very difficult to keep a forum up when you don't have the numbers or activity. As for the social media type thing, I would rather garot myself with cheese wire.

(11-27-2017, 07:17 PM)GuiltySpark Wrote:  
(11-26-2017, 04:37 PM)PrimeDirective64 Wrote:  close knit friendly circle...nice touch. in the past ive noticed a lot of forums, both regular and small are shutting down and moving onto social media or about to close down to lack of activity

Yep. Can be very difficult to keep a forum up when you don't have the numbers or activity. As for the social media type thing, I would rather garot myself with cheese wire.

I agree:

However. I also realize that there are other types of communication options out there, but I prefer forums and Video and blogs. I manage one myself, and I do have a working Mybb forum, but as people have stated, you have to either have a lot of staff to monitor a busy forum, or you have to have a TRUSTED user base that would tell Britec if they find something amiss, and with a "close knit" family you may have that without going nuts - There have been situations that I have dealt with when we have a bunch of idiots, and I don't think there is a way to permaban an individual who just doesn't get it - in cases like this, you have to manually update (ban/unban) people and delete/lock threads, so the job of admin is not easy, but if you help ONE person and they are happy, it makes it easier - Brian and his channel have helped me, and I can tell you that without him, I would not have been able to solve a few problems, and he KNOWS his stuff - He is TOPS when it comes to video explanations, and presentation.

Brian - Do not feel bad for doing what you think is right, but also realize that there are blokes out there who want to rile you up, make you mad, or whatever - you are supported by a lot of us in the world, and I understand that it can be hard sometimes, but speaking for me, I would NOT be here if I thought that you were not giving valuable info and tools for the people out there - You keep doing this stuff, you are AWESOME - anyone else who thinks otherwise, well, they can jump into the cyber river!!!

As for closing threads, if I am correct, you have to be a Mod, a Supermod or an Admin to do this - I would rather that a staffer close threads - This effectively LOCKS threads, but if someone needs help they can post again, or in the case of malware threads, staffers can reopen locked threads - giving just anyone the ability to close/lock threads can be a nightmare, and is a permissions fiasco if major changes of them are made willy nilly - I support leaving it alone for normal users - a mod can do this in seconds if it is necessary.

Have a Great Day!

Brian B.
Brian S. Baker
Linux Enthusiast /Computer Consultant At Large/ "The Wizkid"
System Admin: buddy-baker.us
buddy-baker.us