Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 Pro: System Restore Question
Good Evening:

Is there a way to have Windows 10 act like windows 7 in the way it deals with System Restores or Restore Points? I ask this because windows 10 seems to forget that people would want to backup their computers, but there is no way to have windows 10 put a restore point on the DRIVE WHERE WINDOWS IS!

It wants to keep a "file history" on an external drive, which does not help anyone who wants to do a system restore, when there are no restore points - Windows 10 simply does not seem to work to allow you to save a restore point or a system image without having it on external media.

I had a friend of mine who had an HP laptop, and I think it was a windows 8.1 machine - He updated to windows 10 Home, and then had troubles - He could use the machine, but if he wanted to run a repair, it would start the process, go to like 50%, then "die" and revert back to 10 - There were no viable options to restore the machine, and no restore points on the machine, and no backups of anything he had on the machine - and if System Restore is not working, there is nothing to revert back to.

so, I asked him what he wanted to save - Pictures and a few documents on the machine - I backed that off to my Portable 1TB Drive, and then had to make a bootable USB (32 Gig) for the Windows Creators update, wiped all partitions, and then reinstalled - everything works, but there is apparently no way for system restore to work UNLESS running while connected to external media.

How can you make System Restore and Restore Points work in 10?? I don't want to have to start wiping drives with no way for system restore to work!

Brian B.
Brian S. Baker
Linux Enthusiast /Computer Consultant At Large/ "The Wizkid"
System Admin: buddy-baker.us
buddy-baker.us

Hi baker7,

Windows 10 does allow you to use the system drive to save restore points to. File history does need to go onto a separate drive.
You can find System restore by right clicking on 'This PC' clicking properties and then the 'System protection'tab.

Hope that helps!
JM IT Services
Mobile PC & Laptop Repair
www.jmitservices.co.uk
We also provide remote support.