Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do we delete temporary files off storage drive?
Hi all,

I have win10 pro and a 2 drive setup, an ssd © to store the os, and a bigger hdd (d) for general storage/programs.

If I go to settings->system->storage I'm presented with my 2 drives.

If I click on c drive it calculates how many files are in the various sections. If I click on temporary files it gives me a breakdown of what makes up that total and gives me the option to delete things.

If I click on d drive and select temporary files, which currently is saying its 80gb, the only option it gives me to empty the recycle bin, which it says there is nothing in there.

I've tried going manually to the places I went to on the ssd when I was fixing a temporary files issue. But on the d drive there is no temp folder, and appdata just seems to list one of my addon programs for elder scrolls online (Minion).

I can see temp data on the ssd, but I haven't found 80gb's worth so far.

Anyone have a better clue than me as to locate where its being stored?

I think what happening remember the C and D  partitions are stores on the same SSD hard drive

when you select the D partition its still calculating temps' files on C partition

you can take a deeper look at following britec video

please can you upload screenshot?

@Compton - the drive letters are representing physical drives not partitions. I'll take a look at that video though.

@f23948 - ok, I'll see if I can figure out how to upload photos. I noticed the temporary files have gone up another 2GB since yesterday.

Ok in the photos below I took a photo of storage page and both drives. Then the next picture is of my ssd (c drive) and then clicked on the temporary files section and you can see it gives me options of what to do with it. Most of the temporary files size is made up from the previous version of windows.

The other pictures are of the d drive, and as you can see its now showing temporary file size of 82gb (2 gb up from yesterday). But as you can see in the final picture when I click on temporary files it only gives me an option to empty the recycle bin.

I'm wanting to know where is it getting the 82gb figure from? There is no temp folder on the d drive. Btw, I should say I have all my games and most of the apps saved to the d drive, so it is logical that temporary files would go there. But then I'd also like the option to find and manually delete them too lol.

The only things I did yesterday was browse online and I did a backup of the drive (to an external drive) in the morning.

Do you suggest I use storage sense? I know its a new feature and I've not heard much about it.

Edit: I just turned on storage sense and it deleted some temporary files from the c drive, which is good. But still this 82GB temporary files on the d drive remains untouched.

Ok, it looks like I've figured it out.

For some reason its counting my download area that I have on the storage drive that I save media files mostly in there, its counting that as temporary files. I just did an experiment and deleted some files from there and sure enough the temporary file size went down 2gb.

Glad I figured that out.. one thing I don't like with computers is when they start doing stuff I don't understand lol

I've not noticed it class my download area as temporary files before. Maybe its something that happened in the windows update version?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I think the download area can be classified as temporary files because what we do sometimes is download program installers PDF

which can sometimes be deleted so in a way its taking up temporary space